Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

How to establish as a game programmer

ash1894ash1894 Posts: 26Member
Hi,
I love to play games. I know programming(VC++,OpenGL). how can I start game programming and establish myself. I need suggestion and addresses where I can get some info.

Thanks in advance.
----------------->ASH

Comments

• dragonduelerdragondueler Posts: 14Member
    hi i have a game i am working on and i need help.

it going to be sold to some retails when it done if ya like to help it may give you a start.

my msn is dragondueler2003
    yahoo messger dragondueler2003@yahoo.com
    home e-mail edwards20@cox.net

• DarknezzDarknezz Posts: 245Member
    There is no one answer to that oh so common question. It all depends completely on what you want to do but i'll give you some pointers..

If you want to work for some company making games then get yourself some qualifications related to the area you wish to work in. Programming, maths, physics, art, music, storyline/ideas.
    After that i'd say to make a demo of your skills and show it off to game dev companies along with your qualification(s). The demo could be a programming demo, physics programming demo, pieces of art work, 3D models, music, sound effects, game storyline or ideas etc..

If you want to make games as a hobby by yourself and you don't know anything about game programming then i'd say to get a book on it or search the 'net for tutorials and things. Then it's a simple case of practicing the techniques you learn and writing small simple games and eventually working up to bigger projects.

Here are a few links to help you out..

www.gamedev.net - Loads of articles about all aspects of game development.

www.gametutorials.com - Loads of tutorials mainly to do with game programming.

nehe.gamedev.net - OpenGL tutorials.

www.planetsourcecode.com - Huge source code archive.

www.google.com - Best search engine on the 'net. Try searching for "game programming" and other similar things.
  • vijetvijet Posts: 9Member
    Hi,
    Me too is new in this field ....
    and i've just started game programming ...
    if u wanted to make hi-fi 3d games then u may use some advanced gaming softwares,and are commonly known as 'game engine' ....
    in which u can create your animated models and u can controll ur model by writing some codes in languages like c/c++/c-script/java/java-scripr whatever it is ......!!!
    u can have game engines which are freely available in net to download ... or u may buy it ....
    popular websites are ....
    gamedev.com,
    conitec.net,
    discreet.com, etc .....
    u can use google.com or dogpile.com for searching required game engine

as i am also a biginner please write suggestions about the new things u found in the net or in ur works ....
    and my e-mail id is its4u_vijet@rediffmail.com

• Dex_CColemanDex_CColeman Posts: 3Member
    : Hi,
    : I love to play games. I know programming(VC++,OpenGL). how can I start game programming and establish myself. I need suggestion and addresses where I can get some info.
    :
    : Thanks in advance.
    : ----------------->ASH
    :
    Ash,
    My name is Chris Coleman and I am starting up a game studio and I need a programming staff, currently I have Vivendi Universal, and Codemasters waiting for a playable demo, after that is completed they will fund our project, which means we begin to get a steady income. If you are interested in joining Dexterity Studios, or if you have any questions, please email me at DexterityStudios@Comcast.net

Chris Coleman
    Lead Designer Dexterity Studios
  • EvilMonkey123EvilMonkey123 Posts: 32Member
    Put all your heart and resources into it

Get ppl to help

Myself, I'm programming an RPG would you like to join me in that?
  • ThazagerThazager Posts: 21Member
    : : Hi,
    : : I love to play games. I know programming(VC++,OpenGL). how can I start game programming and establish myself. I need suggestion and addresses where I can get some info.
    : :
    : : Thanks in advance.
    : : ----------------->ASH
    : :
    : Ash,
    : My name is Chris Coleman and I am starting up a game studio and I need a programming staff, currently I have Vivendi Universal, and Codemasters waiting for a playable demo, after that is completed they will fund our project, which means we begin to get a steady income. If you are interested in joining Dexterity Studios, or if you have any questions, please email me at DexterityStudios@Comcast.net
    :
    : Chris Coleman
    : Lead Designer Dexterity Studios
    :

Which city / state / country?
    I have been programming in assembly language for about 16 yrs. 5 games out on the market, but Im not part of a company. Been working on projects freelance with my brother, who is part of a company.
    Near Chicago, IL here.