Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

UI Design

I think most programmers' fear of UI programming comes from their fear of doing UI design. They think that UI design is like graphics design: the mysterious process by which creative, latte-drinking, all-dressed-in-black people with interesting piercings produce cool looking artistic stuff. Programmers see themselves as analytic, logical thinkers: strong at reasoning, weak on artistic judgment. So they think they can't do UI design.

Actually, I have found UI design to be quite easy and quite rational. It's not a mysterious matter that requires a degree from an art school and a penchant for neon-purple hair. There is a rational way to think about user interfaces with some simple, logical rules that you can apply anywhere to improve the interfaces of the programs you work on.

Provide some hot UI URLs:
http://www.qwerks.com/product.asp?ProductID=6877

Comments

• entropycodeentropycode Member Posts: 2
    : I think most programmers' fear of UI programming comes from their fear of doing UI design. They think that UI design is like graphics design: the mysterious process by which creative, latte-drinking, all-dressed-in-black people with interesting piercings produce cool looking artistic stuff. Programmers see themselves as analytic, logical thinkers: strong at reasoning, weak on artistic judgment. So they think they can't do UI design.
    :
    : Actually, I have found UI design to be quite easy and quite rational. It's not a mysterious matter that requires a degree from an art school and a penchant for neon-purple hair. There is a rational way to think about user interfaces with some simple, logical rules that you can apply anywhere to improve the interfaces of the programs you work on.
    :
    : Provide some hot UI URLs:
    : http://www.qwerks.com/product.asp?ProductID=6877
    :
    :
    hey! i dont wear black on alternating thursdays! lol.

actually, i think the real reason why UI design is lacking is because coders usually are busy making the runtime processes. and matter of factly, when you need to test out something, it can be as simple as throwing a form.button on and typing in a quick routine. unfortunately, after its tried and tested, a new task is quickly at hand, and rarely is there hindsight to go back and make the UI asthetic. i dont think a background in art (or lack thereof) makes or breaks a UI, but more the fact that the coders that get down and dirty would rather leave UI design to others who can handle the simpler tasks. o/c... setting up multi-layered COM+ forms may not be so simple.

entropy