Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

waveOut functions for win32 applications

Hi,

I have a few questions concerning the WaveOut... function available for VC++ that are cannot be found in the libraries.

1. Is there any delay from the time I invoke waveOutWrite, and send the audio to the device, to the time the sound device plays the sound out of the speakers.

2. Is there a minimum buffer size for the audio buffer that is sent to the device, in order to play it proper, or is that a specification with

in the sound device.

I am asking these questions because currently, I am creating a basic voice conference software for a project and I need to find out these technical

details to eliminate some latency problems. I would like to know what happens to the audio buffer in memory once it is sent to the device for playback.

- Is the entire buffer locked in memory while device is playing it? Or is

a set number of bytes of memory in the vicinity of the data the sound is

currently playing that gets locked?

- I am not sure if these properties are set within the win32 API or with

the sound device themselves but if you can shed some light on some of the

questions I have, answers or sources of information that can possible

lead to the answers, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Noby