Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

How to Control Volume,Harshness,Speed in wav files

sivajisivaji Posts: 3Member
1.>I am combining(cancatenating) wave files.it's ok!
but wave files are of diffrent volumes(some are high volume and some are low volume).After combining, how to normalise the volume?(Volume level should be one for all)

2.>wave files are of diffrent speeds(some files are playing faster
and some are slow).How to normalise speed after combining?
What part of Information in wave file specifies play speed?

3.>What's the diff. between Pitch and Volume

4.>Some of my waves are not good.In the middle little harsh
sound is coming.Is any algorithm for this.

pls help me ASAP!

Thanks In Advance,

Sivaji Reddy

Comments

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 2,914Member
    Hi,

This is a reply both to this message and in response to the same question you dropped in my mailbox. While I don't mind being messaged to take a look at a post, please give the URL to the post in the future. Thanks! :-)

: 1.>I am combining(cancatenating) wave files.it's ok!
    : but wave files are of diffrent volumes(some are high volume and some
    : are low volume).After combining, how to normalise the volume?(Volume
    : level should be one for all)
    :
    I'd imagine you'd want to do the normalisation before concatenating. Otherwise, you just normalize the one wave file. I *think* the basic algorithm is look for the loudest sound (e.g. largest peak) and see how far it is from the maximum value. Then normalize by calculating a volume constant that makes that peak x% of the maximum volume (e.g. you could normalize to 100% to scale that peak to the maximum volume). You then multiply every sample by that volume constant to normalize. If you do this before concatenating for each wave file, they'll all have a common maximum volume.

: 2.>wave files are of diffrent speeds(some files are playing faster
    : and some are slow).How to normalise speed after combining?
    : What part of Information in wave file specifies play speed?
    :
    Sampling rate, and it's available in the wave file header. This specifies how many samples there are per second. Therefore, you need to decide on a target sampling rate for your output and then convert any sounds that have different sampling rates to that sampling rate.

: 3.>What's the diff. between Pitch and Volume
    :
    Volume is to do with how loud the sound is (e.g. amplitude, e.g. the value of the individual samples). Pitch is the frequency of the sound, e.g. is it a high note for a low note. Doing manipultations related to pitch can get nasty.

: 4.>Some of my waves are not good.In the middle little harsh
    : sound is coming.Is any algorithm for this.
    :
    There will be equalizer algorithms so you can take the mid-range down, but I'm not familiar with them just yet.

Hope this helps,

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");