Creating a Game in D O S!!! Is it worth in this 2004? - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Creating a Game in D O S!!! Is it worth in this 2004?

Creating a Game in D O S!!! Is it worth in this 2004?
=====================================================

Dear friends,
Csharks is publishing "L I N D A - The Rising of the Phoenix Trilogy".
If u luved Dave, Keen, Mario etc once in ur lifetime; Then u will luv this amazing classic too...........Can u Fight a battle for ur survival with 8 monsters in 3 eyepopping levels using 6 weapons and 141 pickups!
Csharks is not responible if that game make u a fan of Dos again;)

U can download the game directly from http://www.csharks.com/Downloads/Installer.exe
or go to http://www.csharks.com/ and go to download section.
The maDDies r eagerly awaiting for a reply at the earliest

Sincerely
Maddies
www.csharks.com

Download the Shareware Version(Only 399 KB) and evaluate?
-------------------------------------------------------------
Is it worth an effort of 8 months in DOSY Waters
for a D O S game?

Is D O S Dead?

What do u eXpect in a DOS game?

-------------------------------------------------------------

Comments

• DarknezzDarknezz Posts: 245Member
    In my opinion there is nothing wrong with DOS.. If you want to do cutting edge graphics and sound then DOS is a definite no, otherwise it's completely your choice if you want to create games in DOS.

DOS isn't dead if people continue to develop for it i guess. And i know a lot of people are still using good ol' DOS to format and reinstall Windows and other operating systems.

What do i expect in a DOS game? To be honest i've only ever attempted to play a few DOS games and one didn't seem to do anything besides sit there showing a picture for 10 minutes and then showing another which was wierd. The only other game i really remember playing in DOS was called Action Supercross or Across and while it was a pretty simple game i'm still addicted to it ;) So to answer your question, i don't really know what i expect from a DOS game. Definitely not cutting edge sound and graphics.
  • Johnny13Johnny13 Posts: 128Member
    yeah the first Tomb Raider was a DOS game! I played it a lot with my old P133 and it was 1996AFAIK they were using watcom c++ and DOS4GW to develop the game. you can find Lara Croft in the dosgamesarchive ;-)
  • kirkykittykirkykitty Posts: 6Member
    Darknezz where can we get "Action Supercross or Across"
    Pleaz tell the link if u know iTT!

MadDies
    www.Csharks.com

I don't know, i found it on an ancient demo disk that came with some pc magazine. I don't have the cd or magazine right now and i dont have the game installed either so i cant find out if theres a website for it or anything, sorry.

It's a 2D sort of simulator thing, theres a set of crazy landscapes with jumps and things everywhere and little spiky things that kill you and you have to jump around collecting apples on each level. It gets fun and addictive when you try doing huge jumps and numerous backflips without dieing :D
    Sooooo saDDDDD:(
    Well if anyone knows that itz always welcome!

MadDies
    http://www.Csharks.com

: I don't know, i found it on an ancient demo disk that came with some pc magazine. I don't have the cd or magazine right now and i dont have the game installed either so i cant find out if theres a website for it or anything, sorry.
    :
    : It's a 2D sort of simulator thing, theres a set of crazy landscapes with jumps and things everywhere and little spiky things that kill you and you have to jump around collecting apples on each level. It gets fun and addictive when you try doing huge jumps and numerous backflips without dieing :D
    :

• ing_gigioing_gigio Posts: 31Member
    : In my opinion there is nothing wrong with DOS.. If you want to do cutting edge graphics and sound then DOS is a definite no, otherwise it's completely your choice if you want to create games in DOS.
    :
    : DOS isn't dead if people continue to develop for it i guess. And i know a lot of people are still using good ol' DOS to format and reinstall Windows and other operating systems.
    :
    : What do i expect in a DOS game? To be honest i've only ever attempted to play a few DOS games and one didn't seem to do anything besides sit there showing a picture for 10 minutes and then showing another which was wierd. The only other game i really remember playing in DOS was called Action Supercross or Across and while it was a pretty simple game i'm still addicted to it ;) So to answer your question, i don't really know what i expect from a DOS game. Definitely not cutting edge sound and graphics.
    :

Plz, let me correct u.
    Until the coming of Win98 (well..maybe some months earlier), every existing important game was a DOS game which COULD be launched under windoz. To run a game under Win u had to load ths OS (and this is ok) but also use some (many????) resources in terms of memory and cpu cycles for running a completely unusefull enviroment for a game player (windows) as long as u had not to have a multitasking enviroment. I'm sure u'll agree that is obvious that games run much faster under DOS (probably the main reason 'cause hard gamers refused in early years to pass to a win system). Only the coming of DirectX and of 3dfx cards changed the things.

U said DOS games only had few frames and not many coulours?

Sorry, it was not my intention to attack u. I just want people not to forget the old spirit...which seems to be lost.

Here some examples for u:

Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Rise of the Triad, Descent, Duke Nukem. (all were the state-o-art of 3d real time engines).
    Nba Jam, one of the most frenetic sport game ever created.
    Street Fighter 2 (and all the following versions).
    Nascar Racing.
    One Must Fall.

Another thing. Euro Fighter barely could run on my JUST BOUGHT Pentium 120...but it was impossible to run it under Win...it needed too much resources.

The same with Wing Commander 3. Playng with config.sys and autoexec.bat I managed to play it under DOS even on an old PC... Win, instead, protested when I launched it telling me it was out of memory..and believe, there was no way at all to turn around the thing.

Programming games in DOS is pretty much harder...but the run extremely FASTER! In DOS u had not libraries such as OPEN GL, Directx and all the API we have now. U can think of it like the difference between programming games in Assembler and in Flash.. The last one let u develop charming games in few days.. but I've seen running complete 3D enviroments develloped with Assembler MUCH FASTER than stupid Flash Games...

Ah, and of course none should forget the bright colours of Monkey Island and Indiana Jones. Not to talk about the heart developpers put in them :)

Believe me..all the magic is going lost... In DOS we had real masterworks. Made with passion.

Thanx gigo for sharing ur thoughts.

: : In my opinion there is nothing wrong with DOS.. If you want to do cutting edge graphics and sound then DOS is a definite no, otherwise it's completely your choice if you want to create games in DOS.
    : :
    : : DOS isn't dead if people continue to develop for it i guess. And i know a lot of people are still using good ol' DOS to format and reinstall Windows and other operating systems.
    : : What do i expect in a DOS game? To be honest i've only ever attempted to play a few DOS games and one didn't seem to do anything besides sit there showing a picture for 10 minutes and then showing another which was wierd. The only other game i really remember playing in DOS was called Action Supercross or Across and while it was a pretty simple game i'm still addicted to it ;) So to answer your question, i don't really know what i expect from a DOS game. Definitely not cutting edge sound and graphics.
    :
    : Plz, let me correct u.
    : Until the coming of Win98 (well..maybe some months earlier), every existing important game was a DOS game which COULD be launched under windoz. To run a game under Win u had to load ths OS (and this is ok) but also use some (many????) resources in terms of memory and cpu cycles for running a completely unusefull enviroment for a game player (windows) as long as u had not to have a multitasking enviroment. I'm sure u'll agree that is obvious that games run much faster under DOS (probably the main reason 'cause hard gamers refused in early years to pass to a win system). Only the coming of DirectX and of 3dfx cards changed the things.
    :
    : U said DOS games only had few frames and not many coulours?
    :
    : Sorry, it was not my intention to attack u. I just want people not to forget the old spirit...which seems to be lost.
    :
    : Here some examples for u:
    :
    : Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Rise of the Triad, Descent, Duke Nukem. (all were the state-o-art of 3d real time engines).
    : Nba Jam, one of the most frenetic sport game ever created.
    : Street Fighter 2 (and all the following versions).
    : Nascar Racing.
    : One Must Fall.
    :
    : Another thing. Euro Fighter barely could run on my JUST BOUGHT Pentium 120...but it was impossible to run it under Win...it needed too much resources.
    :
    : The same with Wing Commander 3. Playng with config.sys and autoexec.bat I managed to play it under DOS even on an old PC... Win, instead, protested when I launched it telling me it was out of memory..and believe, there was no way at all to turn around the thing.
    :
    : Programming games in DOS is pretty much harder...but the run extremely FASTER! In DOS u had not libraries such as OPEN GL, Directx and all the API we have now. U can think of it like the difference between programming games in Assembler and in Flash.. The last one let u develop charming games in few days.. but I've seen running complete 3D enviroments develloped with Assembler MUCH FASTER than stupid Flash Games...
    :
    : Ah, and of course none should forget the bright colours of Monkey Island and Indiana Jones. Not to talk about the heart developpers put in them :)
    :
    : Believe me..all the magic is going lost... In DOS we had real masterworks. Made with passion.
    :
    :
    :
    :

• Zell1388Zell1388 Posts: 82Member
    I released a game in February made in DOS. It was fun to make and I learned a good deal about C from it.
  • marcelo_ipmmarcelo_ipm Posts: 1Member
    : I released a game in February made in DOS. It was fun to make and I learned a good deal about C from it.
    :

Zell,

Would u make available for us the URL of the game, pleaz?

Where can I get a beginner tutorial for C game programming in Linux?

Does anybody have any (simple or not) C code that I could study? Any with "pthread.h"?

Thanx,

Marcelo

Excuse me? I never said there was anything wrong with DOS, i never said DOS games have "few frames" and not many colours or whatever you're saying.

The only thing i said is that you shouldn't go for DOS if you want cutting edge graphics and sound. Look at Doom 3 or Half Life 2, fat chance getting those babies on DOS.