Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Shall I learn python?

ExtrasolarExtrasolar Posts: 79Member
[purple]
Hey. I'm teaching myself C / C++ at the moment. I'm using a Win32 based box. It's not difficult but not having a big incentive driving me it is a fairly hard language.

Just wondering if learning Python would be beneficial to me. Can it be used to write Win32 apps and such? What sort of things can I expect to be able to do with it? Can it be used in any sort of capacity on the internet? Should I just learn it for the sake of it?

Cheers
[/purple]

Comments

• infidelinfidel Posts: 2,900Member
    : [purple]
    : Hey. I'm teaching myself C / C++ at the moment. I'm using a Win32 based box. It's not difficult but not having a big incentive driving me it is a fairly hard language.
    :
    : Just wondering if learning Python would be beneficial to me. Can it be used to write Win32 apps and such? What sort of things can I expect to be able to do with it? Can it be used in any sort of capacity on the internet? Should I just learn it for the sake of it?
    :
    : Cheers
    : [/purple]

In my opinion, learning almost any language would be beneficial. Python is especially fun to use because it is so high-level and it hides so much of the arcane issues of programming behind a beautiful syntax. There are libraries available that allow Python to interface with the win32 api, and there are graphics toolkits that allow you to create windows and buttons, etc. You can do practically anything in Python. Python is a fabulous language for the internet and it comes with an extensive library of modules that give you access to all the standard internet protocols. If you like collecting programming books (and spending 30-50 dollars for each one), I recommend "Practical Python" by Magnus Lie Hetland. If you just want a taste, the Python installation package comes with great documentation and a tutorial that will get you up to speed very quickly. I also check this board relatively frequently for questions.

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

[code]
    $ select * from users where clue > 0
    no rows returned
    [/code]