Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Cannot Open Help File from Shell command

Dear friends
I had made a User Manual for my database software. I want that the user must be able to see the help file if he clicks in the help menu.
I dont want to associate it with the HelpcontextId as i have associated F1 for other helps.. I had used Shell command to open the help.chm file but it is giving error "Invalid procedure call or argument"

Comments

• PavlinIIPavlinII Member Posts: 404
    : Dear friends
    : I had made a User Manual for my database software. I want that the user must be able to see the help file if he clicks in the help menu.
    : I dont want to associate it with the HelpcontextId as i have associated F1 for other helps.. I had used Shell command to open the help.chm file but it is giving error "Invalid procedure call or argument"
    :
    Hi, the piece of code (one line with shell calling) would help helping ;-)
    Dou you have associated *.chm files with correct app? Check it out. If you have reason not to associate this or it's just not working, try this:
    [code]
    Shell "C:WINDOWShh.exe D:myAppmyHelp.chm", vbNormalFocus[/code]It should work, if your Shell function is all right..

PavlinII
  • Gurpreet2311Gurpreet2311 Member Posts: 326
    Hi,
    I think the vb shell only opens exe and batch files etc which are self executable.
    Chm file uses winhelp to display help .
    Try using shellexecute function.

Shellexecute will open any fiel with its registered opener.

Ie notepad will open text etc etc.

Hope This Helps.

[b]Regards
    Er. [blue]Gurpreet Singh [/blue](B.E [blue]Mech.)[/blue][/b]
    [hr]

• PavlinIIPavlinII Member Posts: 404
    : I had made a User Manual for my database software. I want that the user must be able to see the help file if he clicks in the help menu.
    : I dont want to associate it with the HelpcontextId as i have associated F1 for other helps.. I had used Shell command to open the help.chm file but it is giving error "Invalid procedure call or argument"
    :
    I found one more way... API

ShellExecute Form1.hWnd, "open", "D:myAppmyHelp.chm", vbNullString, vbNullString, 0&

It's more general, for example, if you will use your app on more systems and you don't want to search the %system% path...

PavlinII
  • vbDevvbDev Member Posts: 18
    :

hey try this> |||||||||||||||
    Private Sub mnuHelp()
    Dim Helpme
    HelpMe = Shell("C:WindowsSystem32winhlp32.exe" & "App.Path & "YourHELPFile.hlp"
    End sub
    I'm not really sure about the name of the Exe "winhlp32" look for it and type as it is. I'm hp_1705@yahoo.com

• vbDevvbDev Member Posts: 18
    :

hey try this> |||||||||||||||
    Private Sub mnuHelp()
    Dim Helpme
    HelpMe = Shell("C:WindowsSystem32winhlp32.exe" & "App.Path & "YourHELPFile.hlp"
    End sub
    I'm not really sure about the name of the Exe "winhlp32" look for it and type as it is. I'm hp_1705@yahoo.com