Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

pls help with networking

I am running Pascal 1.5 for windows.
I have an alphanumeric keypad with a modem. Upon instuction it connects to my computer on which is running a pascal program which adds integers.
When 3 and 5 are entered on the keypad, the info is sent to my computer and the rusult 8 is calculated and sent back.
My problem is that I do not know where to start learning about how to make this connection and accept/send data.
The function I perform is ofcourse much more complicated than adding integers , but it is all written in pascal (the only thing I know).
How do I make the connection? Does pascal support this feature? Does Delphi support this feature and yet still let me use my Pascal code?
I do not know any Delphi whatsoever. Should I start learning it in order to peform this fuction?
Any help whatsoever please.
Thank you

Comments

• ReplSoftReplSoft Posts: 23Member
    Which a port keypad connect to? COM or USB?

Alexey

: I am running Pascal 1.5 for windows.
    : I have an alphanumeric keypad with a modem. Upon instuction it connects to my computer on which is running a pascal program which adds integers.
    : When 3 and 5 are entered on the keypad, the info is sent to my computer and the rusult 8 is calculated and sent back.
    : My problem is that I do not know where to start learning about how to make this connection and accept/send data.
    : The function I perform is ofcourse much more complicated than adding integers , but it is all written in pascal (the only thing I know).
    : How do I make the connection? Does pascal support this feature? Does Delphi support this feature and yet still let me use my Pascal code?
    : I do not know any Delphi whatsoever. Should I start learning it in order to peform this fuction?
    : Any help whatsoever please.
    : Thank you
    :

• pav888pav888 Posts: 13Member
    : Which a port keypad connect to? COM or USB?
    :
    : Alexey
    :
    :
    :
    : : I am running Pascal 1.5 for windows.
    : : I have an alphanumeric keypad with a modem. Upon instuction it connects to my computer on which is running a pascal program which adds integers.
    : : When 3 and 5 are entered on the keypad, the info is sent to my computer and the rusult 8 is calculated and sent back.
    : : My problem is that I do not know where to start learning about how to make this connection and accept/send data.
    : : The function I perform is ofcourse much more complicated than adding integers , but it is all written in pascal (the only thing I know).
    : : How do I make the connection? Does pascal support this feature? Does Delphi support this feature and yet still let me use my Pascal code?
    : : I do not know any Delphi whatsoever. Should I start learning it in order to peform this fuction?
    : : Any help whatsoever please.
    : : Thank you
    : :
    :
    :
    Alexey , thank you for yuor reply
    Perhaps I should clarify. The Keypad and the computer are in different cities.The keypad connects to computer via phone and information is passed in by pressing keys on keypad(beep,beep,....),just like a telephone. How do I capture these beeps and use them for input to a pascal program and send back an answer? Do I need to use Delphi to perform this function?
    This is very simillar to how credit card machines work.
    Any help please.
    Thank you for your time.
    Computer on the other side is connected to the telephone line via modem? Modem is COM or USB?

Alexey

: Alexey , thank you for yuor reply
    : Perhaps I should clarify. The Keypad and the computer are in different cities.The keypad connects to computer via phone and information is passed in by pressing keys on keypad(beep,beep,....),just like a telephone. How do I capture these beeps and use them for input to a pascal program and send back an answer? Do I need to use Delphi to perform this function?
    : This is very simillar to how credit card machines work.
    : Any help please.
    : Thank you for your time.
    :

• pav888pav888 Posts: 13Member
    : Computer on the other side is connected to the telephone line via modem? Modem is COM or USB?
    :
    : Alexey
    :
    :
    : : Alexey , thank you for yuor reply
    : : Perhaps I should clarify. The Keypad and the computer are in different cities.The keypad connects to computer via phone and information is passed in by pressing keys on keypad(beep,beep,....),just like a telephone. How do I capture these beeps and use them for input to a pascal program and send back an answer? Do I need to use Delphi to perform this function?
    : : This is very simillar to how credit card machines work.
    : : Any help please.
    : : Thank you for your time.
    : :
    :
    :
    Alexey, thanks once again.
    The computer on the other side has COM modem
    You can use a Windows API communications functions for working with your modem connected to a COM port. These functions are CreateFile, CloseHandle, ReadFile, ReadFileEx, WriteFile, and WriteFileEx. Information about it you can find in the MSDN.

Good luck,
    Alexey

: Alexey, thanks once again.
    : The computer on the other side has COM modem

• pak77pak77 Posts: 28Member
    I don't claim to have any knowledge on the subject but through a prog i was creting recently i came across DTMF (Dual Tone Multiple Frequencies). Basically, as i understand it this is or very similar to how automated telephone calls capture the button pressed at the other end of the line. So if your modem supports DTMF this might be worth looking at. You should find any help you need on Google.
    :
    :
    :