Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Cd burning in Visual Basic

Hi everyone,
My name is Prashanta and I'm new to this group but I hope I will have something to share with you people. Right now, I'm stuck on a problem regarding burning a CD-ROM through Visual Basic. I downloaded Nero Fiddles and got the demo program up and running but it doesn't address my main problem.

I have to protect a CD-ROM from illegal copying and I am trying to use the serial no. of the CD-ROM as a protection scheme. I know some of you might say that will not be adequate and I am going to use other techniques also. Anyways, I wrote the code to find out the CD/RW drive and get the serial no of the CD inside it and compare it with a given serial no. Then I find out that each and every time data is burnt on a CD, the serial no. changes. Nero doesn't let u change the serial no. of the CD (I think it gets it from the OS). I tried poking around in the source code of Nero Fiddles but the only lead I could get was a comment saying that Nero got the serial number from the registry (I'm using windows 2000). I tried looking for the function that got it from the registry but I think it is inside a library file (bad luck).

I think what I have to do is write my own code that not only burns data onto a CD but also sets the serial no. as well.

Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated. And by the way, I have made a program that displays information(header info) about PE files. So if any of you are interested just tell me :)

Thanks in advance. Bye.

Comments

• Gurpreet2311Gurpreet2311 Member Posts: 326
    : My name is Prashanta and I'm new to this group but I hope I will have something to share with you people. Right now, I'm stuck on a problem regarding burning a CD-ROM through Visual Basic. I downloaded Nero Fiddles and got the demo program up and running but it doesn't address my main problem.

[blue] Prashant cud U give me the URL frm whr U downloaded the fiddel thing ?? [/blue]

: I have to protect a CD-ROM from illegal copying and I am trying to use the serial no. of the CD-ROM as a protection scheme. I know some of you might say that will not be adequate and I am going to use other techniques also.

[blue] Yes prashant Unfortunately You are right.
    Now the CD doesnt need to be copied from explorer only.
    There are no of third party tools also that reads and writes from a CD.

Infact I have nearly finished a program myself which reads data in form of bytes from CD.

I was guessing the Idea to how to burn CD.

I can send a stream of Bytes though but how to input that data to start burning as I havent done much with hardware interface.

If you want I can send U the code to receive Input data (Any kind).
    Well form of data doesnt matters much As I am taking the most raw form of data ie Bytes whihc is universal in any data kind. [/blue]

:Anyways, I wrote the code to find out the CD/RW drive and get the serial no of the CD inside it and compare it with a given serial no. Then I find out that each and every time data is burnt on a CD, the serial no. changes. Nero doesn't let u change the serial no. of the CD (I think it gets it from the OS). I tried poking around in the source code of Nero Fiddles but the only lead I could get was a comment saying that Nero got the serial number from the registry (I'm using windows 2000). I tried looking for the function that got it from the registry but I think it is inside a library file (bad luck).

[blue] Well In that case You can easily find out the registry key.
    Its a wild goose chase but theoritically its possible.

First read a CD serial No and store in a file.

Now open the registry using regedit
    and then find that serial no using search value option.

IN this way u will get the path and key wher nero has stored the serial no

Or Is the windows storing the serial no ???

In any case it will work [/blue]

: I think what I have to do is write my own code that not only burns data onto a CD but also sets the serial no. as well.
    :
    [blue] Well in this case problem is solved. I can send the data stream in bytes to the Cd writer. All rest is Yours work [/blue]

: Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated. And by the way, I have made a program that displays information(header info) about PE files. So if any of you are interested just tell me :)
    :
    [blue] just wondering what is PE files ( Is it Please English PE ??)
    Just kiddin but whats PE ??

And a thought abt the process.

I have also developed an Encryption by which we can send the data in encrypted form.
    Now No data will be lost but CD will be having data in Encrypted form.
    Which can be easily decrypted using my code and a special key .
    this key is initially used to Encrypt data
    and so is used for decrypting also.

Hope This Helps

[/blue]
    [b]Regards
    Er. [blue]Gurpreet Singh [/blue](B.E [blue]Mech.)[/blue][/b]
    [hr]

• sureei666sureei666 Member Posts: 2
    : Hi Prashanta ,
    I'm suresh who just registered to have a relation with u regarding CD burn issue where u can help me by guiding or sending me examples to do in VB6.
    Atleast How can i get nero API or dll to be registered in VB.[i'v installed nero5.5].
    So, i'm sincerely looking for ur response at any cost.

thks.
  • Gurpreet2311Gurpreet2311 Member Posts: 326
    :I'm suresh who just registered to have a relation with u regarding CD burn issue where u can help me by guiding or sending me examples to do in VB6.

[blue]
    Well Sorry For replying so late. I was out of town.
    I dont have any working examp[le because I dont want to use nero for burning.

I am trying to make a new nero kind of thing.
    May be its a big shot but worth trying.

What I have found that there are a set of API whihc most hardware manufacture uses to burn.

I am looking for that API set.
    [/blue]

: Atleast How can i get nero API or dll to be registered in VB.[i'v installed nero5.5].

[blue]
    Check out the nero official site and I think You can fing that

[/blue]

[b]Regards
    Er. [blue]Gurpreet Singh [/blue](B.E [blue]Mech.)[/blue][/b]
    [hr]

• sureei666sureei666 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks much for ur reply. I found APIs in win-XP SDK which are IdiskMaster & IDiskRecord and so on.... . These are all seems not like API but com interface which having IUnKnown interface.
    For ex: IDiskMaster has a method OPEN. Now my problem is how to add reference or components for these interfaces in VB6.
    If u do soultion for me , i'll escape from burning my head instead cd.

OR atleast give me the reference what r all the APIs u r using and some useful links .

sincerely,
    suresh

• EdusoftEdusoft Member Posts: 1
    hi, i want to write files/folders to a cd and to add a 'bad' track' of some kind that stops simple copying of the cd. can you help with this?

Jeff