Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

problem with parseFloat

SatyajitCSatyajitC Posts: 6Member
Hi all,
I found a weird problem with parseFloat. This is what I tried to do
parseFloat("167.89")+ parseFloat("-67.89").It returned 99.9999988, but not 100.Why is this so?Is this a bug with parseFloat?I know the solution to this problem but not the origin.Can anyone please tell me why this happens or is this a registered bug with SUN?

Comments

• lillulillu Posts: 308Member
    I've also come across this problem before.
    Here's a thread:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Web/Web_Languages/JavaScript/Q_20343444.html

: Hi all,
    : I found a weird problem with parseFloat. This is what I tried to do
    : parseFloat("167.89")+ parseFloat("-67.89").It returned 99.9999988, but not 100.Why is this so?Is this a bug with parseFloat?I know the solution to this problem but not the origin.Can anyone please tell me why this happens or is this a registered bug with SUN?
    :

[hr][grey]To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer. (Farmers Almanac)[/grey] :-)

• WeirdofreakWeirdofreak Posts: 439Member
    You're either thinking Java here, or you've got the wrong company. Sun did Java, Netscape did Javascript based on Java.

Still, the problem is that floating-point numbers are hard to store accurately, making them hard to work with.
  • SatyajitCSatyajitC Posts: 6Member
    Fine,but is there a way by which I can predict for which floating point literals this error may occurr? I tried to search Netscape for this,but with no luck.Is this registered somewhere?
  • lillulillu Posts: 308Member
    No there's no available function in javascript. If precision is not an issue, you can round off the number to the decimal place you want.
    Eg. if you want 2 decimal places remaining use this:

Math.round(n * 100) / 100

n is the number returned by ParseFloat you want to round
    100 rounds to 2 decimal places
    1000 rounds to 3 decimal places and so on...

: I've also come across this problem before.
    : Here's a thread:
    :
    : http://www.experts-exchange.com/Web/Web_Languages/JavaScript/Q_20343444.html
    :
    : : Hi all,
    : : I found a weird problem with parseFloat. This is what I tried to do
    : : parseFloat("167.89")+ parseFloat("-67.89").It returned 99.9999988, but not 100.Why is this so?Is this a bug with parseFloat?I know the solution to this problem but not the origin.Can anyone please tell me why this happens or is this a registered bug with SUN?
    : :
    :
    : [hr][grey]To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer. (Farmers Almanac)[/grey] :-)
    :
    :

[hr][grey]To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer. (Farmers Almanac)[/grey] :-)