Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Linux mandrake boot problem

I am running dualboot winxp and linux mandrake 9.1 , when I try to boot up in linux it locks up at "INIT version 2.84 booting". How can i fix this problem?

thank you for your time!

e-mail: wilfolaram@earthlink.net

Comments

• XfactorXfactor Posts: 343Member
    :
    : I am running dualboot winxp and linux mandrake 9.1 , when I try to boot up in linux it locks up at "INIT version 2.84 booting". How can i fix this problem?
    :
    :
    : thank you for your time!
    :
    : e-mail: wilfolaram@earthlink.net
    :

I've seen this problem after a recompile or new compilation of the kernel and it the cause is the init process can't find a kernel image to boot to. You have to make sure you compiled the kernel correctly, and that you have updated your lilo.conf or grub.conf file apropriately.

X
  • Piotr HorzyckiPiotr Horzycki Posts: 8Member
    : I've seen this problem after a recompile or new compilation of the kernel and it the cause is the init process can't find a kernel image to boot to. You have to make sure you compiled the kernel correctly, and that you have updated your lilo.conf or grub.conf file apropriately.

IMHO Mandrake installer automatically creates the proper /etc/lilo.conf or /boot/grub/menu.lst. Another thing: the kernel image is loaded _before_ init :)
    Right now I can't see the solution...

--
    Piotr Horzycki, mediaworks!tlen.pl