Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Pocket PC and ASM?

With only 64MB RAM and 400MHz CPU, the Pocket PC seems like an ideal candidate for hand-optimized Assembly Language programming. Seems Microsoft wants all developers to use eMbedded Visual Tools which has a limited choice of programming languages. If I understand it correctly, no matter what language (within eMbedded Visual Tools) that you use, they all output a language nuetral product which is Just-In-Time (JIT) compiled whenever the Pocket PC runs the application.

It seems the ASM programmer would have two options:

1) Write an assembler that outputs to this "language nuetral" format

{not knowing the exact nature of the language nuetral code, I am not sure much in the way of speed/size gains could be had from this approach}

2) Write a assembler/linker combo that targets the Pocket PC CPU opcodes and operating environment and discover a trick to skip the JIT compiler at run-time

{requires detailed knowledge of the CPU and the EXE format}

Does anyone here have any experience with the Software Development Kit for Windows Mobile 2003-based Pocket PCs?
Anyone know of any attempts to accomplish either of the two options I've described above? Links to existing projects would be appreciated.

Comments? Suggestions?

Evenbit.

Comments