Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

incrementing integers

ryanc2k3ryanc2k3 Posts: 28Member
[b][red]This message was edited by ryanc2k3 at 2004-1-29 7:3:29[/red][/b][hr]
im making an application that has a customer number field, and i want my number field to automatically increment when i press the command button, im more familiar in the ++ operator used in c/c++, is there any command in vb that is similar with the ++ operator in c/c++? because when im going to use the do loop it results to infinite loop, and when im going to place the formula "counter=1+counter" it doesnt have any effect...

Comments

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 2,914Member
    : [b][red]This message was edited by ryanc2k3 at 2004-1-29 7:3:29[/red][/b][hr]
    : im making an application that has a customer number field, and i want my number field to automatically increment when i press the command button, im more familiar in the ++ operator used in c/c++, is there any command in vb that is similar with the ++ operator in c/c++? because when im going to use the do loop it results to infinite loop, and when im going to place the formula "counter=1+counter" it doesnt have any effect...
    :
    Post to top bit of your do loop, but I think your code simply isn't doing what you expect.

While counter = 1 + counter

In VB is equivalent to the C:-

while (counter == 1 + counter)

Of course, a number will never be equal to 1 plus itself. You'll have to do the incrementation in the loop body.

And thus another example of why using the same operator for equality and assignment is a bad idea...

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");

• PavlinIIPavlinII Posts: 404Member
    : [b][red]This message was edited by ryanc2k3 at 2004-1-29 7:3:29[/red][/b][hr]
    : im making an application that has a customer number field, and i want my number field to automatically increment when i press the command button, im more familiar in the ++ operator used in c/c++, is there any command in vb that is similar with the ++ operator in c/c++? because when im going to use the do loop it results to infinite loop, and when im going to place the formula "counter=1+counter" it doesnt have any effect...
    :
    :
    :
    Hi, what exactly do you want? You have a button and you want "counter" to be increment when button is pressed? Does counter = counter + 1 returns 1 everytime? ;) You have to declare counter outside the procedure (Public or Private) or like Static (if it's declared inside the button procedure).. And what was the problem with do - loop? Without condtition it makes infinite loops...

PavlinII
  • ryanc2k3ryanc2k3 Posts: 28Member
    : : [b][red]This message was edited by ryanc2k3 at 2004-1-29 7:3:29[/red][/b][hr]
    : : im making an application that has a customer number field, and i want my number field to automatically increment when i press the command button, im more familiar in the ++ operator used in c/c++, is there any command in vb that is similar with the ++ operator in c/c++? because when im going to use the do loop it results to infinite loop, and when im going to place the formula "counter=1+counter" it doesnt have any effect...
    : :
    : Hi, what exactly do you want? You have a button and you want "counter" to be increment when button is pressed? Does counter = counter + 1 returns 1 everytime? ;) You have to declare counter outside the procedure (Public or Private) or like Static (if it's declared inside the button procedure).. And what was the problem with do - loop? Without condtition it makes infinite loops...
    :
    : PavlinII
    :
    yes thats exactly my problem, im used in using c++ wherein i dont have to declare a do-loop to increment a number, example i have an integer A, in c i would declare A++ to increment this integer, so everytime i add a new record int A would increment by 1, this way i can add records one at time, because adding all records at one time would make the program less reliable. And in C it wont create an infinite loop. im looking for an equivalent declaration for this in vb6
  • PavlinIIPavlinII Posts: 404Member
    : : : [b][red]This message was edited by ryanc2k3 at 2004-1-29 7:3:29[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : im making an application that has a customer number field, and i want my number field to automatically increment when i press the command button, im more familiar in the ++ operator used in c/c++, is there any command in vb that is similar with the ++ operator in c/c++? because when im going to use the do loop it results to infinite loop, and when im going to place the formula "counter=1+counter" it doesnt have any effect...
    : : :
    : : Hi, what exactly do you want? You have a button and you want "counter" to be increment when button is pressed? Does counter = counter + 1 returns 1 everytime? ;) You have to declare counter outside the procedure (Public or Private) or like Static (if it's declared inside the button procedure).. And what was the problem with do - loop? Without condtition it makes infinite loops...
    : : PavlinII
    : yes thats exactly my problem, im used in using c++ wherein i dont have to declare a do-loop to increment a number, example i have an integer A, in c i would declare A++ to increment this integer, so everytime i add a new record int A would increment by 1, this way i can add records one at time, because adding all records at one time would make the program less reliable. And in C it wont create an infinite loop. im looking for an equivalent declaration for this in vb6
    :
    Hi, here are some examples:
    (After declaring has integer variable zero value. int Counter=0; is not needed)
    [code][green]'Counter will start at zero everytime you call this sub[/green]
    Sub DoLoopSub()
    Dim Counter As Integer
    Do While Counter < 10
    Counter = Counter + 1
    MsgBox Counter
    ...blablabla...
    Loop
    End Sub

[green]'Counter will keep it's value to next calling
    'When you call this sub second time, Counter will be 10[/green]
    Sub DoLoopSub()
    Static Counter As Integer
    If YouWantToSetCounterToZero Then Conter = 0
    Do While Counter < 10
    Counter = Counter + 1
    MsgBox Counter
    ...blablabla...
    Loop
    End Sub

[green]'Like the previous one, but Counter will be readable from others subs[/green]
    Private Counter As Integer
    [green]'Pulic Counter As Integer 'If used in module and you want to read it from another modules, forms...[/green]

Sub DoLoopSub
    If YouWantToSetCounterToZero Then Conter = 0
    Do While Counter < 10
    Counter = Counter + 1
    MsgBox Counter
    ...blablabla...
    Loop
    End Sub

[green]'Some another Do - Loop cycle:[/green]
    Do
    Counter = Counter + 1
    MsgBox Counter
    ...blablabla...
    Loop Until Counter > 9
    [green]'The different is clear - this one will run inside Do-Loop at least once time ;))[/green][/code]Hope it's enough, you'll find there what you'll need ;))

PavlinII
  • ryanc2k3ryanc2k3 Posts: 28Member
    : : : : [b][red]This message was edited by ryanc2k3 at 2004-1-29 7:3:29[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : : im making an application that has a customer number field, and i want my number field to automatically increment when i press the command button, im more familiar in the ++ operator used in c/c++, is there any command in vb that is similar with the ++ operator in c/c++? because when im going to use the do loop it results to infinite loop, and when im going to place the formula "counter=1+counter" it doesnt have any effect...
    : : : :
    : : : Hi, what exactly do you want? You have a button and you want "counter" to be increment when button is pressed? Does counter = counter + 1 returns 1 everytime? ;) You have to declare counter outside the procedure (Public or Private) or like Static (if it's declared inside the button procedure).. And what was the problem with do - loop? Without condtition it makes infinite loops...
    : : : PavlinII
    : : yes thats exactly my problem, im used in using c++ wherein i dont have to declare a do-loop to increment a number, example i have an integer A, in c i would declare A++ to increment this integer, so everytime i add a new record int A would increment by 1, this way i can add records one at time, because adding all records at one time would make the program less reliable. And in C it wont create an infinite loop. im looking for an equivalent declaration for this in vb6
    : Hi, here are some examples:
    : (After declaring has integer variable zero value. int Counter=0; is not needed)
    : [code][green]'Counter will start at zero everytime you call this sub[/green]
    : Sub DoLoopSub()
    : Dim Counter As Integer
    : Do While Counter < 10
    : Counter = Counter + 1
    : MsgBox Counter
    : ...blablabla...
    : Loop
    : End Sub
    :
    : [green]'Counter will keep it's value to next calling
    : 'When you call this sub second time, Counter will be 10[/green]
    : Sub DoLoopSub()
    : Static Counter As Integer
    : If YouWantToSetCounterToZero Then Conter = 0
    :
    : [green]'Like the previous one, but Counter will be readable from others subs[/green]
    : Private Counter As Integer
    : [green]'Pulic Counter As Integer 'If used in module and you want to read it from another modules, forms...[/green]
    :
    : Sub DoLoopSub
    : If YouWantToSetCounterToZero Then Conter = 0
    :
    : [green]'Some another Do - Loop cycle:[/green]
    : Do
    : Loop Until Counter > 9
    : [green]'The different is clear - this one will run inside Do-Loop at least once time ;))[/green][/code]Hope it's enough, you'll find there what you'll need ;))
    :
    : PavlinII
    :
    ok thanks for the example! ill try to add them to my code and see if it would function. thanks for your help!