Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Delphi 5 Playing Silly beggars

[b][red]This message was edited by Jeremiah at 2004-1-27 13:53:34[/red][/b][hr]
Ok, I'm not all that new to Delphi, but I'm also not all that great with it either so here goes.
Writing a program with numerous units and forms all saved to the one folder bar 3. Why? Beats me. I must have changed to the folder I save the compiled EXE to and it created 3 of the units in there.
trying to get them back into the one folder with the rest of them was a real pain, but I got there ok with 2 of them, well 3 of them but the 3rd one has caused me so many problems I want to shoot myself. My current problem is that all the components I have on one of my forms is now making the claim that they have no corresponding component.
If you link to this page you'll see the error message.

http://www.wdaoi.com/gallery/error2.jpg

Please tell me there's a simple solution to this....Please please please....

Yeah! Your right! I forgot to back up my code before I attempted this. I've already beat myself up over this so please...be gentle with me....

jerry
Derry My Derry, Such A Beautiful City,
Famous For It's Ancient Walls,
And it's Colleens Oh So Pretty

Comments

• zibadianzibadian Member Posts: 6,349
    : [b][red]This message was edited by Jeremiah at 2004-1-27 13:53:34[/red][/b][hr]
    : Ok, I'm not all that new to Delphi, but I'm also not all that great with it either so here goes.
    : Writing a program with numerous units and forms all saved to the one folder bar 3. Why? Beats me. I must have changed to the folder I save the compiled EXE to and it created 3 of the units in there.
    : trying to get them back into the one folder with the rest of them was a real pain, but I got there ok with 2 of them, well 3 of them but the 3rd one has caused me so many problems I want to shoot myself. My current problem is that all the components I have on one of my forms is now making the claim that they have no corresponding component.
    : If you link to this page you'll see the error message.
    :
    : http://www.wdaoi.com/gallery/error2.jpg
    :
    : Please tell me there's a simple solution to this....Please please please....
    :
    : Yeah! Your right! I forgot to back up my code before I attempted this. I've already beat myself up over this so please...be gentle with me....
    :
    : jerry
    : Derry My Derry, Such A Beautiful City,
    : Famous For It's Ancient Walls,
    : And it's Colleens Oh So Pretty
    :
    :
    :
    It looks like you previously had some 3rd-party components installed in your Delphi. Now (perhaps after a reinstall of Delphi) those components are missing and need to be reinstalled. The help files contain more info on installing components.
    Another solution is to remove those declarations and modify the code so that it can perform its task without those components.
  • JeremiahJeremiah Member Posts: 5
    :It looks like you previously had some 3rd-party components installed
    :in your Delphi. Now (perhaps after a reinstall of Delphi) those
    :components are missing and need to be reinstalled. The help files
    :contain more info on installing components.
    :Another solution is to remove those declarations and modify the code
    :so that it can perform its task without those components.

Nope! but thanks anyway for the input. I have 4 other forms within this APP all using the same TOPAZ Database components and they all work fine. Delphi has not been re-installed and is working perfectly. It's that 3rd unit that got saved outside of my original develepment folder that I tried to move back and Delphi has taken exception to the move. I'm sure there is some obscure code/file with my development, created by Delphi's IDE that needs modifying but I can't find it.

What has happened here is a big BUG in my opinion in Borland's/Inprise's IDE Editor. Why could it/dit it not detect that I was not in my original development folder when I was creating and finally saving my additional units and advised me what was happening.

Borland...Get your act together....!

Thanks again for the input...here's hoping someone can help. Still waiting on Borland to get mack to me but I won't hold my breath.

Jerry

[b][red]This message was edited by zibadian at 2004-1-28 1:39:48[/red][/b][hr]
    : :It looks like you previously had some 3rd-party components installed
    : :in your Delphi. Now (perhaps after a reinstall of Delphi) those
    : :components are missing and need to be reinstalled. The help files
    : :contain more info on installing components.
    : :Another solution is to remove those declarations and modify the code
    : :so that it can perform its task without those components.
    :
    :
    : Nope! but thanks anyway for the input. I have 4 other forms within this APP all using the same TOPAZ Database components and they all work fine. Delphi has not been re-installed and is working perfectly. It's that 3rd unit that got saved outside of my original develepment folder that I tried to move back and Delphi has taken exception to the move. I'm sure there is some obscure code/file with my development, created by Delphi's IDE that needs modifying but I can't find it.
    :
    : What has happened here is a big BUG in my opinion in Borland's/Inprise's IDE Editor. Why could it/dit it not detect that I was not in my original development folder when I was creating and finally saving my additional units and advised me what was happening.
    :
    : Borland...Get your act together....!
    :
    : Thanks again for the input...here's hoping someone can help. Still waiting on Borland to get mack to me but I won't hold my breath.
    :
    : Jerry
    :
    :
    :
    Have you tried to create a new project using the same component as the Invoices? And if so were you successful?
    Is the path to the dcu or source of the unit containing that component in the library path of delphi?

: [b][red]This message was edited by zibadian at 2004-1-28 1:39:48[/red][/b][hr]
    : : :It looks like you previously had some 3rd-party components installed
    : : :in your Delphi. Now (perhaps after a reinstall of Delphi) those
    : : :components are missing and need to be reinstalled. The help files
    : : :contain more info on installing components.
    : : :Another solution is to remove those declarations and modify the code
    : : :so that it can perform its task without those components.
    : :
    : : Nope! but thanks anyway for the input. I have 4 other forms within this APP all using the same TOPAZ Database components and they all work fine. Delphi has not been re-installed and is working perfectly. It's that 3rd unit that got saved outside of my original develepment folder that I tried to move back and Delphi has taken exception to the move. I'm sure there is some obscure code/file with my development, created by Delphi's IDE that needs modifying but I can't find it.
    : : What has happened here is a big BUG in my opinion in Borland's/Inprise's IDE Editor. Why could it/dit it not detect that I was not in my original development folder when I was creating and finally saving my additional units and advised me what was happening.
    : : Borland...Get your act together....!
    : : Thanks again for the input...here's hoping someone can help. Still waiting on Borland to get mack to me but I won't hold my breath.
    : : Jerry
    : : Derry My Derry, Such A Beautiful City,
    : : Famous For It's Ancient Walls,
    : : And it's Colleens Oh So Pretty
    : Have you tried to create a new project using the same component as the Invoices? And if so were you successful?
    : Is the path to the dcu or source of the unit containing that component in the library path of delphi?
    :
    : The answer is yes to both questions.
    I think there has to be some reference within some piece of code that is still pointing to the folder outside of my development folder for some obscure reason. But I'll be damned if I can find it.

looks Like I may have to recreate the form all over again....Arrrrgggghhh!

: : [b][red]This message was edited by zibadian at 2004-1-28 1:39:48[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : :It looks like you previously had some 3rd-party components installed
    : : : :in your Delphi. Now (perhaps after a reinstall of Delphi) those
    : : : :components are missing and need to be reinstalled. The help files
    : : : :contain more info on installing components.
    : : : :Another solution is to remove those declarations and modify the code
    : : : :so that it can perform its task without those components.
    : : :
    : : : Nope! but thanks anyway for the input. I have 4 other forms within this APP all using the same TOPAZ Database components and they all work fine. Delphi has not been re-installed and is working perfectly. It's that 3rd unit that got saved outside of my original develepment folder that I tried to move back and Delphi has taken exception to the move. I'm sure there is some obscure code/file with my development, created by Delphi's IDE that needs modifying but I can't find it.
    : : : What has happened here is a big BUG in my opinion in Borland's/Inprise's IDE Editor. Why could it/dit it not detect that I was not in my original development folder when I was creating and finally saving my additional units and advised me what was happening.
    : : : Borland...Get your act together....!
    : : : Thanks again for the input...here's hoping someone can help. Still waiting on Borland to get mack to me but I won't hold my breath.
    : : : Jerry
    : : : Derry My Derry, Such A Beautiful City,
    : : : Famous For It's Ancient Walls,
    : : : And it's Colleens Oh So Pretty
    : : Have you tried to create a new project using the same component as the Invoices? And if so were you successful?
    : : Is the path to the dcu or source of the unit containing that component in the library path of delphi?
    : : The answer is yes to both questions.
    : I think there has to be some reference within some piece of code that is still pointing to the folder outside of my development folder for some obscure reason. But I'll be damned if I can find it.
    :
    : looks Like I may have to recreate the form all over again....Arrrrgggghhh!
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    I'm pretty sure that isn't it, since then Delphi would give a 'cannot find .dcu or .pas'-error. Based on the error you posted, I think it's that the components aren't correctly installed. Just open the project, but don't remove the reference and don't save it if Delphi asks you to. Just check if you can find the Invoices component in your component palette.
    : : : [b][red]This message was edited by zibadian at 2004-1-28 1:39:48[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : : :It looks like you previously had some 3rd-party components installed
    : : : : :in your Delphi. Now (perhaps after a reinstall of Delphi) those
    : : : : :components are missing and need to be reinstalled. The help files
    : : : : :contain more info on installing components.
    : : : : :Another solution is to remove those declarations and modify the code
    : : : : :so that it can perform its task without those components.
    : : : :
    : : : : Nope! but thanks anyway for the input. I have 4 other forms within this APP all using the same TOPAZ Database components and they all work fine. Delphi has not been re-installed and is working perfectly. It's that 3rd unit that got saved outside of my original develepment folder that I tried to move back and Delphi has taken exception to the move. I'm sure there is some obscure code/file with my development, created by Delphi's IDE that needs modifying but I can't find it.
    : : : : What has happened here is a big BUG in my opinion in Borland's/Inprise's IDE Editor. Why could it/dit it not detect that I was not in my original development folder when I was creating and finally saving my additional units and advised me what was happening.
    : : : : Borland...Get your act together....!
    : : : : Thanks again for the input...here's hoping someone can help. Still waiting on Borland to get mack to me but I won't hold my breath.
    : : : : Jerry
    : : : : Derry My Derry, Such A Beautiful City,
    : : : : Famous For It's Ancient Walls,
    : : : : And it's Colleens Oh So Pretty
    : : : Have you tried to create a new project using the same component as the Invoices? And if so were you successful?
    : : : Is the path to the dcu or source of the unit containing that component in the library path of delphi?
    : : : The answer is yes to both questions.
    : : I think there has to be some reference within some piece of code that is still pointing to the folder outside of my development folder for some obscure reason. But I'll be damned if I can find it.
    : : looks Like I may have to recreate the form all over again....Arrrrgggghhh!
    : I'm pretty sure that isn't it, since then Delphi would give a 'cannot find .dcu or .pas'-error. Based on the error you posted, I think it's that the components aren't correctly installed. Just open the project, but don't remove the reference and don't save it if Delphi asks you to. Just check if you can find the Invoices component in your component palette.
    :
    I think we might me getting side tracked here. Invoices is a Form with an associated Unit. The component controls on the form are from the TOPAZ database components which are correctly installed. This app. has a number of forms most of which have TOPAZ controls on them and they work just fine. It's only this one form, within my app., that got created outside of the dev. folder that is causing the problem.

All the forms, units, etc that are part of the app. are now within the DEV.Folder and they all, with the exception of the Invoices form, compile just find. On the screen shot, off the 4 options presented I choose no for every component on the form until the program runs and everything but the InvoiceForm, naturally, works. It's not just the TOPAZ components that aren't found or associated but also the statusbar, labels etc. This is very weird.

: : : : [b][red]This message was edited by zibadian at 2004-1-28 1:39:48[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : : : :It looks like you previously had some 3rd-party components installed
    : : : : : :in your Delphi. Now (perhaps after a reinstall of Delphi) those
    : : : : : :components are missing and need to be reinstalled. The help files
    : : : : : :contain more info on installing components.
    : : : : : :Another solution is to remove those declarations and modify the code
    : : : : : :so that it can perform its task without those components.
    : : : : :
    : : : : : Nope! but thanks anyway for the input. I have 4 other forms within this APP all using the same TOPAZ Database components and they all work fine. Delphi has not been re-installed and is working perfectly. It's that 3rd unit that got saved outside of my original develepment folder that I tried to move back and Delphi has taken exception to the move. I'm sure there is some obscure code/file with my development, created by Delphi's IDE that needs modifying but I can't find it.
    : : : : : What has happened here is a big BUG in my opinion in Borland's/Inprise's IDE Editor. Why could it/dit it not detect that I was not in my original development folder when I was creating and finally saving my additional units and advised me what was happening.
    : : : : : Borland...Get your act together....!
    : : : : : Thanks again for the input...here's hoping someone can help. Still waiting on Borland to get mack to me but I won't hold my breath.
    : : : : : Jerry
    : : : : : Derry My Derry, Such A Beautiful City,
    : : : : : Famous For It's Ancient Walls,
    : : : : : And it's Colleens Oh So Pretty
    : : : : Have you tried to create a new project using the same component as the Invoices? And if so were you successful?
    : : : : Is the path to the dcu or source of the unit containing that component in the library path of delphi?
    : : : : The answer is yes to both questions.
    : : : I think there has to be some reference within some piece of code that is still pointing to the folder outside of my development folder for some obscure reason. But I'll be damned if I can find it.
    : : : looks Like I may have to recreate the form all over again....Arrrrgggghhh!
    : : : Derry My Derry, Such A Beautiful City,
    : : : Famous For It's Ancient Walls,
    : : : And it's Colleens Oh So Pretty
    : : I'm pretty sure that isn't it, since then Delphi would give a 'cannot find .dcu or .pas'-error. Based on the error you posted, I think it's that the components aren't correctly installed. Just open the project, but don't remove the reference and don't save it if Delphi asks you to. Just check if you can find the Invoices component in your component palette.
    : I think we might me getting side tracked here. Invoices is a Form with an associated Unit. The component controls on the form are from the TOPAZ database components which are correctly installed. This app. has a number of forms most of which have TOPAZ controls on them and they work just fine. It's only this one form, within my app., that got created outside of the dev. folder that is causing the problem.
    :
    : All the forms, units, etc that are part of the app. are now within the DEV.Folder and they all, with the exception of the Invoices form, compile just find. On the screen shot, off the 4 options presented I choose no for every component on the form until the program runs and everything but the InvoiceForm, naturally, works. It's not just the TOPAZ components that aren't found or associated but also the statusbar, labels etc. This is very weird.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    Then the .dfm file of that form is either missing from the project directory or is corrupt. You can easily check if the file is corrupt using a text-editor. It should list each component on the form.
    : : : : : [b][red]This message was edited by zibadian at 2004-1-28 1:39:48[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : : : : :It looks like you previously had some 3rd-party components installed
    : : : : : : :in your Delphi. Now (perhaps after a reinstall of Delphi) those
    : : : : : : :components are missing and need to be reinstalled. The help files
    : : : : : : :contain more info on installing components.
    : : : : : : :Another solution is to remove those declarations and modify the code
    : : : : : : :so that it can perform its task without those components.
    : : : : : :
    : : : : : : Nope! but thanks anyway for the input. I have 4 other forms within this APP all using the same TOPAZ Database components and they all work fine. Delphi has not been re-installed and is working perfectly. It's that 3rd unit that got saved outside of my original develepment folder that I tried to move back and Delphi has taken exception to the move. I'm sure there is some obscure code/file with my development, created by Delphi's IDE that needs modifying but I can't find it.
    : : : : : : What has happened here is a big BUG in my opinion in Borland's/Inprise's IDE Editor. Why could it/dit it not detect that I was not in my original development folder when I was creating and finally saving my additional units and advised me what was happening.
    : : : : : : Borland...Get your act together....!
    : : : : : : Thanks again for the input...here's hoping someone can help. Still waiting on Borland to get mack to me but I won't hold my breath.
    : : : : : : Jerry
    : : : : : : Derry My Derry, Such A Beautiful City,
    : : : : : : Famous For It's Ancient Walls,
    : : : : : : And it's Colleens Oh So Pretty
    : : : : : Have you tried to create a new project using the same component as the Invoices? And if so were you successful?
    : : : : : Is the path to the dcu or source of the unit containing that component in the library path of delphi?
    : : : : : The answer is yes to both questions.
    : : : : I think there has to be some reference within some piece of code that is still pointing to the folder outside of my development folder for some obscure reason. But I'll be damned if I can find it.
    : : : : looks Like I may have to recreate the form all over again....Arrrrgggghhh!
    : : : : Derry My Derry, Such A Beautiful City,
    : : : : Famous For It's Ancient Walls,
    : : : : And it's Colleens Oh So Pretty
    : : : I'm pretty sure that isn't it, since then Delphi would give a 'cannot find .dcu or .pas'-error. Based on the error you posted, I think it's that the components aren't correctly installed. Just open the project, but don't remove the reference and don't save it if Delphi asks you to. Just check if you can find the Invoices component in your component palette.
    : : I think we might me getting side tracked here. Invoices is a Form with an associated Unit. The component controls on the form are from the TOPAZ database components which are correctly installed. This app. has a number of forms most of which have TOPAZ controls on them and they work just fine. It's only this one form, within my app., that got created outside of the dev. folder that is causing the problem.
    : : All the forms, units, etc that are part of the app. are now within the DEV.Folder and they all, with the exception of the Invoices form, compile just find. On the screen shot, off the 4 options presented I choose no for every component on the form until the program runs and everything but the InvoiceForm, naturally, works. It's not just the TOPAZ components that aren't found or associated but also the statusbar, labels etc. This is very weird.
    : Then the .dfm file of that form is either missing from the project directory or is corrupt. You can easily check if the file is corrupt using a text-editor. It should list each component on the form.
    :

OK I'll check that out later tonight. I do my programming at night from home.

Many Thanks.

jerry