Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Is WinXPs JVM Bogus or just IE6?

GeoHoffmanGeoHoffman Posts: 176Member
Hi. I just started learning java about a month ago. I am having many problems getting things to work correctly and I think it has to do with my JVM or web browser. I am running windowsXP and IE6 and have the Java 2 (v1.4.2_03) virtual machine. I am mostly trying to program applets for my web site. Here is some code. I got this out of "Java 2 fifth edition" published by Osborne so it should be accurate:

//BEGIN CODE: (file is named test.java)////////////////////
import java.awt.*;
import java.applet.*;
import java.awt.event.*;

public class test extends Applet implements MouseListener, MouseMotionListener
{
String msg = "";
int mouseY = 0;
int mouseX = 0;

public void init()
{
addMouseListener(this);
addMouseMotionListener(this);
}
public void mouseClicked(MouseEvent me)
{
mouseX = 0;
mouseY = 10;
msg = "Mouse Clicked";
repaint();
}
public void mouseEntered(MouseEvent me)
{
mouseX = 0;
mouseY = 10;
msg = "Mouse Entered";
repaint();
}
public void mouseExited(MouseEvent me)
{
mouseX = 0;
mouseY = 10;
msg = "Mouse Exited";
repaint();
}
public void mousePressed(MouseEvent me)
{
mouseX = me.getX();
mouseY = me.getY();
msg = "Down";
repaint();
}
public void mouseReleased(MouseEvent me)
{
mouseX = me.getX();
mouseY = me.getY();
msg = "Up";
repaint();
}
public void mouseDragged(MouseEvent me)
{
mouseX = me.getX();
mouseY = me.getY();
msg = "*";

showStatus("Dragging mouse at " + me.getX() + ", " + me.getY());
repaint();
}

public void mouseMoved(MouseEvent me)
{
showStatus("Moving mouse at " + me.getX() + ", " + me.getY());
}

public void paint(Graphics G)
{
G.drawString(msg,mouseX,mouseY);
}
}

//END CODE://///////////////////////////

I compile with this comand:

javac test.java

Then I execute the applet by using a web page like this:

This all compiles fine but does not work like intended. I can't seem to get messages to display correctly in the status bar and the drawString() method does not display anything either. Basically, all I can see is the empty grey applet in my browser window, no matter what I do (mouseClick, mouseMove, mousePress, mouseRelease, mouseEnter, mouseExit). I have seen this problem before. In an earlier applet I was working on I had a call to showStatus() in init(). I could see it for a split second when the applet loaded but then it disappeared. Is this the intended use of this method? Are you supposed to continuously refres the status bar?

Comments

• beancounterbeancounter Posts: 88Member
    Hello,

Had the same problem with my applets. Assuming your code is correct there is a couple of things you might try...

1). Make sure you have the latest JVM from Sun installed. as a test go to my web site geocities.com/kenneth@ameritech.net and click the calculator button and see if you can get my applet to open. If It doesn't open I have a button you can click to get the latest JVM from sun.

2). IE has to have the java plug-in to run applets. I had to run my HTML page through Sun's HTML converter which tells IE to use the plug-in.

3). To test your code, try running your applet through Netscape. Even though my applets wouldn't work in IE they did run in netscape.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Ken
    : Hi. I just started learning java about a month ago. I am having many problems getting things to work correctly and I think it has to do with my JVM or web browser. I am running windowsXP and IE6 and have the Java 2 (v1.4.2_03) virtual machine. I am mostly trying to program applets for my web site. Here is some code. I got this out of "Java 2 fifth edition" published by Osborne so it should be accurate:
    :
    :
    : //BEGIN CODE: (file is named test.java)////////////////////
    : import java.awt.*;
    : import java.applet.*;
    : import java.awt.event.*;
    :
    : public class test extends Applet implements MouseListener, MouseMotionListener
    : {
    : String msg = "";
    : int mouseY = 0;
    : int mouseX = 0;
    :
    : public void init()
    : addMouseListener(this);
    : addMouseMotionListener(this);
    : }
    : public void mouseClicked(MouseEvent me)
    : mouseX = 0;
    : mouseY = 10;
    : msg = "Mouse Clicked";
    : repaint();
    : public void mouseEntered(MouseEvent me)
    : msg = "Mouse Entered";
    : public void mouseExited(MouseEvent me)
    : msg = "Mouse Exited";
    : public void mousePressed(MouseEvent me)
    : mouseX = me.getX();
    : mouseY = me.getY();
    : msg = "Down";
    : public void mouseReleased(MouseEvent me)
    : msg = "Up";
    : public void mouseDragged(MouseEvent me)
    : msg = "*";
    :
    : showStatus("Dragging mouse at " + me.getX() + ", " + me.getY());
    :
    : public void mouseMoved(MouseEvent me)
    : showStatus("Moving mouse at " + me.getX() + ", " + me.getY());
    :
    :
    :
    : public void paint(Graphics G)
    : G.drawString(msg,mouseX,mouseY);
    :
    : //END CODE://///////////////////////////
    :
    : I compile with this comand:
    :
    : javac test.java
    :
    :
    :
    : Then I execute the applet by using a web page like this:
    :
    :
    :
    : This all compiles fine but does not work like intended. I can't seem to get messages to display correctly in the status bar and the drawString() method does not display anything either. Basically, all I can see is the empty grey applet in my browser window, no matter what I do (mouseClick, mouseMove, mousePress, mouseRelease, mouseEnter, mouseExit). I have seen this problem before. In an earlier applet I was working on I had a call to showStatus() in init(). I could see it for a split second when the applet loaded but then it disappeared. Is this the intended use of this method? Are you supposed to continuously refres the status bar?
    :

• GeoHoffmanGeoHoffman Posts: 176Member
    Everything seems to be working now. I installed Suns One studio 5 which comes with a version of their JVM. I think that is what did it because when I went to Suns web site it said I already had the latest version. Thanks for the help.