Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

OS design related problems

Hello,

Any one having any idea how win2000 and linux handle deadlocks, what CPU scheduling algo they use, how processes and IO is handled. And what security features they offer. Please let me know if u have any knowledge of some helpful resources.

Thanks.

Comments

• shaurzshaurz Posts: 22Member
    According to this book I have in front of me (http://www.bell-labs.com/topic/books/aos-book/) Win2K has 32 priority levels and six states (ready, standby (next to be executed), running, waiting, transition, terminated). It has a queue of processes for each priority and works from highest to lowest. Processes waiting for I/O get a temporary priority boost. It also says something about an I/O request packet, which is sent to the driver (I assume it's some sort of struct).

As for Linux, the default scheduler has changed for 2.6. You can compile different schedulers in the kernel config for different situations. There's quite a lot of detail (probably because this information is open) and I'm not going to spend all day reading and typing it!