Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Newbie question: where is "Script Mode"?

LobomoonLobomoon Posts: 7Member
I just started using Python and I'm pretty comfortable with "Interactive Mode" - I can access it either in the form of something that looks like a dos window or something that looks like notepad. But how do I access "Script Mode"? First I thought the notepad-thingy would be it but every time I press "enter" to go to new line it actually executes the line I just typed.

Please help...

Comments

• infidelinfidel Posts: 2,900Member
    : I just started using Python and I'm pretty comfortable with "Interactive Mode" - I can access it either in the form of something that looks like a dos window or something that looks like notepad. But how do I access "Script Mode"? First I thought the notepad-thingy would be it but every time I press "enter" to go to new line it actually executes the line I just typed.

You have to save your commands in a plain text file. If you're using IDLE, you can open a new File and save it with a .py extension. Then depending on your operating system and personal preferences, you can:

double-click script file (Windows)
    use shebang line (Linux, etc): #! /usr/bin/python
    use command line (all): python scriptname.py

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

[code]
    $ select * from users where clue > 0
    no rows returned
    [/code]

• LobomoonLobomoon Posts: 7Member
    It worked! Thanks. One more thing - when in IDLE I open new window and write my program is isn't color-coded as in IDLE itself (for example when I type "print" it turns it orange). Is it possible to make it color-coded - I find it helpful.
  • infidelinfidel Posts: 2,900Member
    : It worked! Thanks. One more thing - when in IDLE I open new window and write my program is isn't color-coded as in IDLE itself (for example when I type "print" it turns it orange). Is it possible to make it color-coded - I find it helpful.

Once you save it with a .py extension then IDLE should recognize it as a python script and colorify it.

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

[code]
    $ select * from users where clue > 0
    no rows returned
    [/code]