Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Rerouting STDERR to STDOUT

WeirdofreakWeirdofreak Posts: 439Member
I have a CGI which was working fine the day before yesterday, and is now not working at all. I'm getting the message 'Script produced no output' when I run, which means it got a syntax error and sent the message to STDERR, the logs of which I don't have access to. Or if I do, I can't find them. I'm sure if I could work out what the probem is I could get a solution, but I need it to send the message directly to the browser via STDOUT for that to happen. So how would I reroute it? I'm pretty sure it has something to do with pipes, but I don't understand them at all.

Comments

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 2,914Member
    : I have a CGI which was working fine the day before yesterday, and is now not working at all. I'm getting the message 'Script produced no output' when I run, which means it got a syntax error and sent the message to STDERR, the logs of which I don't have access to. Or if I do, I can't find them. I'm sure if I could work out what the probem is I could get a solution, but I need it to send the message directly to the browser via STDOUT for that to happen. So how would I reroute it? I'm pretty sure it has something to do with pipes, but I don't understand them at all.
    :
    Here's a couple of ideas for you:-

1) Try popping this near the top of your script to send errors to the browser window:-
    use CGI::Carp qw(fatalsToBrowser carpout);

2) Try doing something like:-
    [code]close STDERR;
    open STDERR, "> logfile.txt";[/code]
    And log errors to that file. Again, do it near the top of your script.

Re-routing - leave that with me to think about. Something like:-

*STDERR = *STDOUT;

May work for you, can't be sure.

Hope this helps,

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 2,914Member
    Hi,

What I said only applies for runtime erorrs. To find compile-time ones you can usually do:-

perl -c thescript.pl

To run a syntax check.

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");

• WeirdofreakWeirdofreak Posts: 439Member
    Thanks for the help. I did I syntax check and it was fine, so I tried the script again, and it also worked fine. I did nothing to break it, and didn't have to do anything except wait to fix it. Strange, but at least it was simple. :)