Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Time-out Error

kel1981bkel1981b Member Posts: 852
For some reasons sometimes I get "Time-out Error". Not sure why it's happened. How can I handle it?

Comments

• JonathanJonathan Member Posts: 2,914
    : For some reasons sometimes I get "Time-out Error". Not sure why it's
    : happened. How can I handle it?
    I guess by handle it you could mean one of a couple of things... In your program you can catch the error using the error handling mechanisms of the language you're working in and handle it by presenting the user with a timeout error, or however is most suitable for your application. Or try the connection again. But put a limit on how many times you try I guess! ;-)

As for why it happens, maybe the SQL server is too busy or has a limited number of connections allowed and when they are all in use your connection has to wait. If it has to wait too long it times out. Are you connecting over a network or locally? If over a network it could be packet loss.

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");

• kel1981bkel1981b Member Posts: 852
    : : For some reasons sometimes I get "Time-out Error". Not sure why it's
    : : happened. How can I handle it?
    : I guess by handle it you could mean one of a couple of things... In your program you can catch the error using the error handling mechanisms of the language you're working in and handle it by presenting the user with a timeout error, or however is most suitable for your application. Or try the connection again. But put a limit on how many times you try I guess! ;-)
    :
    : As for why it happens, maybe the SQL server is too busy or has a limited number of connections allowed and when they are all in use your connection has to wait. If it has to wait too long it times out. Are you connecting over a network or locally? If over a network it could be packet loss.
    :
    : Jonathan
    :
    : ###
    : for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    : (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    : /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");
    :
    :
    Thanks for your reply. I am working with VB 6 Applications which connected with SQL Server through Network. I do not think it's network problem. Seems to me some other Application locks Database. Have to find which one and why. I am not DBA person and we do not have DBA here, so I have to fix this problem by my own. I hate DBA job ...
  • JonathanJonathan Member Posts: 2,914
    : : : For some reasons sometimes I get "Time-out Error". Not sure why it's
    : : : happened. How can I handle it?
    : : I guess by handle it you could mean one of a couple of things... In your program you can catch the error using the error handling mechanisms of the language you're working in and handle it by presenting the user with a timeout error, or however is most suitable for your application. Or try the connection again. But put a limit on how many times you try I guess! ;-)
    : :
    : : As for why it happens, maybe the SQL server is too busy or has a limited number of connections allowed and when they are all in use your connection has to wait. If it has to wait too long it times out. Are you connecting over a network or locally? If over a network it could be packet loss.
    : : Jonathan
    : : ###
    : : for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    : : (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    : : /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");
    : Thanks for your reply. I am working with VB 6 Applications which
    : connected with SQL Server through Network. I do not think it's
    : network problem. Seems to me some other Application locks Database.
    : Have to find which one and why. I am not DBA person and we do not
    : have DBA here, so I have to fix this problem by my own. I hate DBA
    : job ...
    I'm not exactly a DBA either, I tend to find database management stuff tedious. I did work somewhere once that had an Access database and they had to have exclusive access to it to be able to make system changes...if anyone else was using it they couldn't get that. So it was a mad rush round a couple of buildings there to try and find who was on it where and get them to log off, and to stop others logging on! Some times they just had to physically pull the network plug out of the back off the box to disconnect people to make urgent system changes!

Anyway, good luck with tracking down what's holding the lock. One other thought - see what the timeout value is and if appropriate increase it.

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");

• WolfsbaneWolfsbane Member Posts: 12
    : : : : For some reasons sometimes I get "Time-out Error". Not sure why it's
    : : : : happened. How can I handle it?
    : : : I guess by handle it you could mean one of a couple of things... In your program you can catch the error using the error handling mechanisms of the language you're working in and handle it by presenting the user with a timeout error, or however is most suitable for your application. Or try the connection again. But put a limit on how many times you try I guess! ;-)
    : : :
    : : : As for why it happens, maybe the SQL server is too busy or has a limited number of connections allowed and when they are all in use your connection has to wait. If it has to wait too long it times out. Are you connecting over a network or locally? If over a network it could be packet loss.
    : : : Jonathan
    : : : ###
    : : : for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    : : : (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    : : : /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");
    : : Thanks for your reply. I am working with VB 6 Applications which
    : : connected with SQL Server through Network. I do not think it's
    : : network problem. Seems to me some other Application locks Database.
    : : Have to find which one and why. I am not DBA person and we do not
    : : have DBA here, so I have to fix this problem by my own. I hate DBA
    : : job ...
    : I'm not exactly a DBA either, I tend to find database management stuff tedious. I did work somewhere once that had an Access database and they had to have exclusive access to it to be able to make system changes...if anyone else was using it they couldn't get that. So it was a mad rush round a couple of buildings there to try and find who was on it where and get them to log off, and to stop others logging on! Some times they just had to physically pull the network plug out of the back off the box to disconnect people to make urgent system changes!
    :
    : Anyway, good luck with tracking down what's holding the lock. One other thought - see what the timeout value is and if appropriate increase it.
    :
    : Jonathan
    :
    : ###
    : for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    : (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    : /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");
    :
    :
    Another thing you can do is use SQL Enterprise Manager and look at the locks on the database table. It also will reveal what it is that the application is actually sending for a query.

: Another thing you can do is use SQL Enterprise Manager and look at the locks on the database table.
    :
    [blue] Sorry if I am asking dumb question. Which table? [/blue]
    :
    It also will reveal what it is that the application is actually sending for a query.
    :

: : Another thing you can do is use SQL Enterprise Manager and look at the locks on the database table.
    : [blue] Sorry if I am asking dumb question. Which table? [/blue]
    : It also will reveal what it is that the application is actually sending for a query.
    :
    :
    :
    Any table in the database. What version of SQL Server are you using?
    [b][red]This message was edited by kel1981b at 2004-1-13 6:34:18[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : :
    : : : Another thing you can do is use SQL Enterprise Manager and look at the locks on the database table.
    : : [blue] Sorry if I am asking dumb question. Which table? [/blue]
    : : It also will reveal what it is that the application is actually sending for a query.
    : Any table in the database. What version of SQL Server are you using?
    :
    2000. How can I look at the locks? I am not DBA person and learn that kind of job now that's why I am asking so funny questions.

: [b][red]This message was edited by kel1981b at 2004-1-13 6:34:18[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : : :
    : : : : Another thing you can do is use SQL Enterprise Manager and look at the locks on the database table.
    : : : [blue] Sorry if I am asking dumb question. Which table? [/blue]
    : : : It also will reveal what it is that the application is actually sending for a query.
    : : Any table in the database. What version of SQL Server are you using?
    : 2000. How can I look at the locks? I am not DBA person and learn that kind of job now that's why I am asking so funny questions.
    :
    :
    :
    Go to the SQL Server Enterprise Manager. Expand the server you are working with and then go to the Management folder. Then click on the Locks / Object option and then double click the different process to see the SQL statement last run by that process.