Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

How do I configure ..net

agolnagoln Member Posts: 2
I have my own website, and currently, I only have a www..com. If I wanted to do a, lets say site2..com, how would I go about doing that? I was told at first that it's somthing with virtual hosts, but the more I read about it, the more it feels like it likes www..com and www..com to one ipaddress. I want to be able to host multiple sites to one domain name, but how would I go about doing that? Thanks for your help.

Comments

• JonathanJonathan Member Posts: 2,914
    : I have my own website, and currently, I only have a www..com. If I wanted to do a, lets say site2..com,
    : how would I go about doing that? I was told at first that it's
    : somthing with virtual hosts, but the more I read about it, the more
    : it feels like it likes www..com and www..com to one ipaddress. I want to be able to host multiple sites
    : to one domain name, but how would I go about doing that? Thanks for
    : your help.
    :
    Yes, it is about virtual hosts. The idea of virtual hosting is that you can set up more than one site under the same IP address. That means you can have entirely different domains on one IP address, as well as just subdomains on the same IP address.

There are two main things you need to do; one is to add the entry for the subdomain in the virtual hosts list, the second is that you need to add the DNS entry so it resolves to the same IP as the main domain.

For your interest - once you get below the level of "domain name" then there isn't any hierachy beyond that which you choose to impose (or which is imposed upon you by a hosting company or their software). You can have a.b.c.domain.com without having b.c.domain.com or c.domain.com set up, so long as you own domain.com. When you buy the rights to a domain name like domain.com you are essentially paying for the rights to choose the name servers for that domain. Once you control those you can set up whatever you like beneath it. Not quite what you asked, but thought you may find it interesting. :-)

Anyway, look at the Virtual Host docs, give it a go and post again if you get stuck and I'll try to help.

Good luck,

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");