Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Display the frequency graph of a sound

I have to develop an application which would recieve a .WAV file path as an input and display the sin graph with the frequency, wave-length and amplitude for the sound in the file. I have some time to research the idea and I need input as to the Win32 libraries I would need to use to depict the graph. Anyone who's done this earlier, any ideas please.

Comments

• cbodapaticbodapati Posts: 65Member
    : I have to develop an application which would recieve a .WAV file path as an input and display the sin graph with the frequency, wave-length and amplitude for the sound in the file. I have some time to research the idea and I need input as to the Win32 libraries I would need to use to depict the graph. Anyone who's done this earlier, any ideas please.
    :
    :
    :

are you ready with the realtime time-domain sound signal?
    are you giving the sine wave input or you want all the audible range frequency spectrum?
    do know about fourier transforms?
    I have written a spectrum analyser with winAPI, may be I can help you if you are clear.
  • freendeedfreendeed Posts: 1Member
    : are you ready with the realtime time-domain sound signal?
    : are you giving the sine wave input or you want all the audible range frequency spectrum?
    : do know about fourier transforms?
    : I have written a spectrum analyser with winAPI, may be I can help you if you are clear.
    :

Hi. I'm a new member to Programmers Heaven and found it (and your post) by doing a Google search looking for help on audio programming. I was a professional mainframe programmer for years (COBOL) so I know about program design and I'm an audio engineer but I haven't done much programming (well, none really) on a PC. I'm looking to develop a small app for training (myself and others) to recognize frequency bands.

Here's what I envision:

I'm looking to write (or expand) a program that will take a WAV file (or directory or playlist, etc.) and playback the files with certain frequency ranges either boosted or cut as a "training tool" for recording engineers. For example, playback a file(s) and boost the 100Hz-250Hz region by 6dB for example and the user has to "guess" what range was boosted (maybe from a multiple choice list of answers).

Ideally the ranges would be chosen at random by the program (within certain parameters) and the user has to "guess" the range that was changed (and a bypass button would be available to hear the unchanged version). Could you point me in the right direction for writing this? I've was a professional programmer (mostly COBOL) for about 15 years but haven't programmed in the last 10 years much due to health problems so I'm not up on a lot of the latest technology. Hopefully there would be some subroutines already written to do most of the work.

Even better would be if I could use Directx plugins for the EQ. (I'm planning later versions to include adding reverb and the user having to guess the type (chamber, hall, plate, etc.)). Any help at all you could give me would be greatly appreciated. I might even be interested in paying to have some of the work done.

Thanks,
    Ricky W. Hunt
    Hello Mr.Hunt
    If Iam not wrong, You want "Digital Filters", Which can digitally eliminate some frequencies from the audio source( wav file).
    To have Good Idea about Figital filters,
    First you have to go through the
    1) Real-time time-Domain signal Analysis
    2) Real-Time Frequency-Domain Analysis
    3) Real-time filter Application.
    I welcome your idea to share our views for a constructive development of an application.
    If you want I will send my spectrum analyser(exe) for you.
    Iam as well is in search of some remuneration for my work.
    You can contact me at "cbodapati@rediffmail.com"

best regards
    srikanth

• preetbrpreetbr Posts: 5Member
    : : I have to develop an application which would recieve a .WAV file path as an input and display the sin graph with the frequency, wave-length and amplitude for the sound in the file. I have some time to research the idea and I need input as to the Win32 libraries I would need to use to depict the graph. Anyone who's done this earlier, any ideas please.
    : :
    :
    :
    : are you ready with the realtime time-domain sound signal?
    : are you giving the sine wave input or you want all the audible range frequency spectrum?
    : do know about fourier transforms?
    : I have written a spectrum analyser with winAPI, may be I can help you if you are clear.
    :

Hi,

I have to create an audio database in visual c++. I have to analyse sounds using complex signal processing techniques, segment the sound, extract features from the segment and based on the extracted features, find the most similar sound segment from a secondary sound database. For the complex processing techniques, I have thought of using FFT and for the time being am thinking of considering only .wav files.
    Can you please help me?
    Hi,

I have to create an audio database in visual c++.
    >> ok

I have to analyse sounds using complex signal processing techniques, segment the sound, extract features from the segment and based on the extracted features,

>> do you mean sound matching.

find the most similar sound segment from a secondary sound database. For the complex processing techniques, I have thought of using FFT and for the time being am thinking of considering only .wav files.
    Can you please help me?

>> I think you have to do this in frequency domain.

can you make your self clear what exactly is your aim.

best regards
    srikanth

[b][red]This message was edited by preetbr at 2004-1-26 12:19:35[/red][/b][hr]
    : Hi,
    :
    : I have to create an audio database in visual c++.
    : >> ok
    :
    : I have to analyse sounds using complex signal processing techniques, segment the sound, extract features from the segment and based on the extracted features,
    :
    : >> do you mean sound matching.
    :
    : find the most similar sound segment from a secondary sound database. For the complex processing techniques, I have thought of using FFT and for the time being am thinking of considering only .wav files.
    : Can you please help me?
    :
    : >> I think you have to do this in frequency domain.
    :
    : can you make your self clear what exactly is your aim.
    :
    :
    : best regards
    : srikanth
    :
    : Thank you very much for your interests, Srikanth.
    You have understood the first part of my problem.
    About the last part:
    from what I've read to be able to process any wave signal, you have to convert the signal from the time domain(graph of amplitude v/s time) to the frequency domain(amplitude v/s frequency graph)

What I have to do:
    I should have a database of audio segments. If someone has a new sound segment and he wants to retrieve another sound segment from the database which is most similar to the new one, I have to perform a matching and give him a list of similar sound segments starting from the one which most resembles the new sound in descending order.

But if you have any other idea of how to tackle the problem ,i.e to create an audio database in visual c++, I will be very grateful.

Thank you in advance
    Preetbr
    :
    :

I think you have to compare the spectrum of the database segments to the third party wav file.

I have a spectrum analyser which receives sound from the mic and display the time-domain and Frequency-Domain.

If you give your e-mail address I can send you the exe for windows.

I think I can help you.

is this application for a commercial purpose?

may I ask you what is the purpose of matching. voice recognition ?

Best Regards
    srikanth

: I think you have to compare the spectrum of the database segments to the third party wav file.
    :
    : I have a spectrum analyser which receives sound from the mic and display the time-domain and Frequency-Domain.
    :
    : If you give your e-mail address I can send you the exe for windows.
    :
    : I think I can help you.
    :
    : is this application for a commercial purpose?
    :
    : may I ask you what is the purpose of matching. voice recognition ?
    :
    :
    :
    :
    : Best Regards
    : srikanth
    :
    : Hi Srikanth,
    This application is for the purpose of my project.
    I am actually a student of BSc(Hons)Computer Science with Multimedia (final year) at the university of Mauritius and I have to submit this application for my project.
    Thank you for sending me your spectrum analyser. My email address is
    preetbr@hotmail.com. I know it will be of great help to me but in what language is it?It would be nice if you could send me the codes (if am not demanding too much) or you could refer me to links where I can get help for my problem and for learning visual c++.
    Yes, I have to compare the spectrum of the database segments to the third party wav file but before that I need to segment the third party wav file and then extract features from it such as the frequency.

Thank you in advance,
    Preetbr

: : I think you have to compare the spectrum of the database segments to the third party wav file.
    : : I have a spectrum analyser which receives sound from the mic and display the time-domain and Frequency-Domain.
    : : If you give your e-mail address I can send you the exe for windows.
    : : I think I can help you.
    : : is this application for a commercial purpose?
    : : may I ask you what is the purpose of matching. voice recognition ?
    : : Best Regards
    : : srikanth
    : : Hi Srikanth,
    : This application is for the purpose of my project.
    : I am actually a student of BSc(Hons)Computer Science with Multimedia (final year) at the university of Mauritius and I have to submit this application for my project.
    : Thank you for sending me your spectrum analyser. My email address is
    : preetbr@hotmail.com. I know it will be of great help to me but in what language is it?It would be nice if you could send me the codes (if am not demanding too much) or you could refer me to links where I can get help for my problem and for learning visual c++.
    : Yes, I have to compare the spectrum of the database segments to the third party wav file but before that I need to segment the third party wav file and then extract features from it such as the frequency.
    :
    : Thank you in advance,
    : Preetbr
    :
    : Thanks Srikanth for your spectrum analyser. I see that is an awesome program. How can I build such an application using visual c++?
    :
    :