Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Exception handling

floozyfloozy Posts: 38Member
Gday everyone.

Id like to create a file to save all exception messages, so I added code to most of catch my catches, and the good thing is it works.
Now I tried the same thing as release version but dont get any results!! File stays the way it is.

Can anyone help?

Comments

• iwilld0itiwilld0it Posts: 1,134Member
    : Gday everyone.
    :
    : Id like to create a file to save all exception messages, so I added code to most of catch my catches, and the good thing is it works.
    : Now I tried the same thing as release version but dont get any results!! File stays the way it is.
    :
    : Can anyone help?
    :

Is it possible you are not gettinh any errors. Because a Catch doesn't execute when no exceptions are thrown.
  • floozyfloozy Posts: 38Member
    : Is it possible you are not gettinh any errors. Because a Catch doesn't execute when no exceptions are thrown.
    :
    Nope, Ive made a little calculator to test, before I dare to implement it into the companys product.

I can create a variety of exceptions. going through with debug no problem. This is not possible in release of course. Didnt find anything mentioned in docu about different handling of exceptions for release/debug either. One thing I found out: string of Exception is different in the two versions. In release it doesnt contain any path information. This caused my test app to crash in release.

Thanks.
  • iwilld0itiwilld0it Posts: 1,134Member
    : : Is it possible you are not gettinh any errors. Because a Catch doesn't execute when no exceptions are thrown.
    : :
    : Nope, Ive made a little calculator to test, before I dare to implement it into the companys product.
    :
    : I can create a variety of exceptions. going through with debug no problem. This is not possible in release of course. Didnt find anything mentioned in docu about different handling of exceptions for release/debug either. One thing I found out: string of Exception is different in the two versions. In release it doesnt contain any path information. This caused my test app to crash in release.
    :
    : Thanks.
    :

That would be because the release version does not compile w/ the Debug symbols, so .NET has no way of telling you which line an exception has occured. You may need to change the way you log your exceptions.
  • floozyfloozy Posts: 38Member
    : That would be because the release version does not compile w/ the Debug symbols, so .NET has no way of telling you which line an exception has occured. You may need to change the way you log your exceptions.
    :
    Okay, I figured there is no path and line info in release so I changed code. Works okay now, but is no as helpful as debug.

thanks and merry X-mas