Exception handling - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Exception handling

floozyfloozy Posts: 38Member
Gday everyone.

Id like to create a file to save all exception messages, so I added code to most of catch my catches, and the good thing is it works.
Now I tried the same thing as release version but dont get any results!! File stays the way it is.

Can anyone help?

Comments

• iwilld0itiwilld0it Posts: 1,134Member
    : Gday everyone.
    :
    : Id like to create a file to save all exception messages, so I added code to most of catch my catches, and the good thing is it works.
    : Now I tried the same thing as release version but dont get any results!! File stays the way it is.
    :
    : Can anyone help?
    :

Is it possible you are not gettinh any errors. Because a Catch doesn't execute when no exceptions are thrown.
  • floozyfloozy Posts: 38Member
    : Is it possible you are not gettinh any errors. Because a Catch doesn't execute when no exceptions are thrown.
    :
    Nope, Ive made a little calculator to test, before I dare to implement it into the companys product.

I can create a variety of exceptions. going through with debug no problem. This is not possible in release of course. Didnt find anything mentioned in docu about different handling of exceptions for release/debug either. One thing I found out: string of Exception is different in the two versions. In release it doesnt contain any path information. This caused my test app to crash in release.

Thanks.
  • iwilld0itiwilld0it Posts: 1,134Member
    : : Is it possible you are not gettinh any errors. Because a Catch doesn't execute when no exceptions are thrown.
    : :
    : Nope, Ive made a little calculator to test, before I dare to implement it into the companys product.
    :
    : I can create a variety of exceptions. going through with debug no problem. This is not possible in release of course. Didnt find anything mentioned in docu about different handling of exceptions for release/debug either. One thing I found out: string of Exception is different in the two versions. In release it doesnt contain any path information. This caused my test app to crash in release.
    :
    : Thanks.
    :

That would be because the release version does not compile w/ the Debug symbols, so .NET has no way of telling you which line an exception has occured. You may need to change the way you log your exceptions.
  • floozyfloozy Posts: 38Member
    : That would be because the release version does not compile w/ the Debug symbols, so .NET has no way of telling you which line an exception has occured. You may need to change the way you log your exceptions.
    :
    Okay, I figured there is no path and line info in release so I changed code. Works okay now, but is no as helpful as debug.

thanks and merry X-mas