Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Registry Where goes what

I have an application that wants to write several keys to the registry all with their own values and data types which relate to settings and configurations. Now comes the question where do I write into the registry , as it is humongous. There are 5 main root keys under which one is it best to write into the registry not knowing before hand if the aplication will run win Win95 , Win98 , WinME , WinNT , WinXP , or Win2000 ?

Zapperon
ewu@webmail.co.za

Comments

• pritaeaspritaeas Posts: 274Member
    Hi. Normally you'd write these settings to HKEY_USERS. On WinNT and the likes you'll have to have permissions though. Search the net for some more information on that.

hth, pritaeas

: I have an application that wants to write several keys to the
    : registry all with their own values and data types which relate to
    : settings and configurations. Now comes the question where do I write
    : into the registry , as it is humongous. There are 5 main root keys
    : under which one is it best to write into the registry not knowing
    : before hand if the aplication will run win Win95 , Win98 , WinME ,
    : WinNT , WinXP , or Win2000 ?
  • injektiloinjektilo Posts: 113Member
    most programs will put their configuration under

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/[Your Program or Company Name]...

• ManningManning Posts: 1,621Member
    : most programs will put their configuration under
    :
    : HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/[Your Program or Company Name]...

Another common one is to use HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE instead of HKEY_CURRENT_USER, if the program is to have the same configuration for every user. But since most programs should be customizable for each user, the first suggestion is usually better.