Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Converting Radicals to Mixed Radicals

In a program I made, I have a few lines to show the square root sign, and then a number in a text box under that. I'm looking for a way to check for the greatest perfect square that is a factor of that number.

For example, if I had 80 under the square root sign, I would want it to tell me that the greatest perfect square is 16, so that I could put 4 in front of the square root sign and 5 under it.

Thanks

Comments

• KDivad LeahcimKDivad Leahcim Posts: 3,948Member
    : In a program I made, I have a few lines to show the square root sign, and then a number in a text box under that. I'm looking for a way to check for the greatest perfect square that is a factor of that number.
    :
    : For example, if I had 80 under the square root sign, I would want it to tell me that the greatest perfect square is 16, so that I could put 4 in front of the square root sign and 5 under it.
    :
    : Thanks
    :

By "perfect square", I'm guessing you mean 4, 16(4*4), 256(16*16), 65536 (256*256), etc., correct? Hate to tell you, but those four values are the only ones you can easily represent in VB (you could go one higher if you don't mind using FP math). That being the case, you could easily check to see which is the highest one that is still a factor by loading them into an array and looping highest to lowest until you find a factor.
  • canadiancowcanadiancow Posts: 43Member
    : : In a program I made, I have a few lines to show the square root sign, and then a number in a text box under that. I'm looking for a way to check for the greatest perfect square that is a factor of that number.
    : :
    : : For example, if I had 80 under the square root sign, I would want it to tell me that the greatest perfect square is 16, so that I could put 4 in front of the square root sign and 5 under it.
    : : Thanks
    :
    : By "perfect square", I'm guessing you mean 4, 16(4*4), 256(16*16), 65536 (256*256), etc., correct? Hate to tell you, but those four values are the only ones you can easily represent in VB (you could go one higher if you don't mind using FP math). That being the case, you could easily check to see which is the highest one that is still a factor by loading them into an array and looping highest to lowest until you find a factor.
    :

I mean "perfect square" as in "perfect square," like 1, 4, 9, 16, 25, etc (1x1, 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, 5x5, etc)

• KDivad LeahcimKDivad Leahcim Posts: 3,948Member
    : I mean "perfect square" as in "perfect square," like 1, 4, 9, 16, 25, etc (1x1, 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, 5x5, etc)
    :

Funny, looks like a "normal square" to me. No need for an attitude...

[code]Dim I As Long
    Dim LastGoodSquare As Long
    For I = 1 To Text1.Text / 2
    If Text1.Text Mod (I ^ 2) = 0 Then LastGoodSquare = I
    Next
    [/code]
    LastGoodSquare should hold the value you're after or 0 if there isn't one.