Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Windows File Writing...

SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAPosts: 1,035Member
OK, I just read on the MSDN that opening a file with "fopen()" and using the mode "a+" will not allow you to over-write data in a file. I have just made an MP3 tag editor, and I need to over-write data with it. I don't know the format of the encoded data, so I can't buffer the entire file to memory and then burst it into a new file, but I do know the EXACT locations of the data I want to modify. How can I do this?

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

Comments

• AsmGuru62AsmGuru62 Posts: 6,519Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by AsmGuru62 at 2003-12-8 12:46:29[/red][/b][hr]
    : OK, I just read on the MSDN that opening a file with "fopen()" and using the mode "a+" will not allow you to over-write data in a file. I have just made an MP3 tag editor, and I need to over-write data with it. I don't know the format of the encoded data, so I can't buffer the entire file to memory and then burst it into a new file, but I do know the EXACT locations of the data I want to modify. How can I do this?
    :
    : -[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]
    :
    [code]
    FILE* pFile = fopen ("any file name here", "r+b");

fseek (pFile, 1762, SEEK_SET);
    // ^^^ go to exact location of 1762 bytes
    // from the beginning of the file

// write a few (five symbols) bytes at this location:
    fwrite ("Hello", sizeof (char), 5, pFile);
    fclose (pFile);
    [/code]

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAPosts: 1,035Member
    Yeah I figured it out, but not thanks to MSDN. I have (once again) the wonder Linux MAN pages to thank. I really should just leave an SSH2 terminal open to one of my Linux-boxes 24/7 for stuff like this that M$ "forgets" to post or posts wrong. Too bad those pages don't have the Win32 GUI functions and such in them, that'd make it super-easy to find anything :D!
    -[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

: Yeah I figured it out, but not thanks to MSDN. I have (once again) the wonder Linux MAN pages to thank. I really should just leave an SSH2 terminal open to one of my Linux-boxes 24/7 for stuff like this that M$ "forgets" to post or posts wrong. Too bad those pages don't have the Win32 GUI functions and such in them, that'd make it super-easy to find anything :D!
    : -[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]
    :
    :
    [blue]Win32 GUI? No problem...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winprog/winprog/functions_by_category.asp

I always post that link - super-easy to find whatever you need to find.
    [/blue]
    : [blue]Win32 GUI? No problem...
    :
    : http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winprog/winprog/functions_by_category.asp
    :
    : I always post that link - super-easy to find whatever you need to find.
    : [/blue]
    :
    Added to favorites.

• pingpongpingpong Posts: 937Member
    : Added to [b][italic]favorites[/italic][/b].

Mr Open Source is using IE! ;)

: : Added to [b][italic]favorites[/italic][/b].
    :
    : Mr Open Source is using IE! ;)
    :
    :
    [blue]...erm... yeah, it is a free country... - I think, Seph has both in his cellar...[/blue]
    : : : Added to [b][italic]favorites[/italic][/b].
    : :
    : : Mr Open Source is using IE! ;)
    : [blue]...erm... yeah, it is a free country... - I think, Seph has both in his cellar...[/blue]
    :
    I use IE because it doesn't crash or is crappy as hell like NutScrape, and because it comes integrated into Windoze. Does all I need anyway. However, if I was a major web-guy, I'd use Opera or something. Oh wait, LONG LIVE LYNX!! If you don't get it you just don't know.