Win32 vs Command.com (2) - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Win32 vs Command.com (2)

[code]
Ok,it well know that modern OSes and programming languages, prevent users
to access their machines in the way they want to.
Another today fact is that command line tools as 'command.com' are going to
disappear in the few next years.So, noone but a programmer, will be able
to make simple things with his machine unless he has a specific software
for that.Why not anyone can show a message box, make a delete, a dir command
or play some mp3s or videos from his command line ? Why microsoft dont update
'command.com' to support the Windows but prefers to kill it ?
To get in the point, i made a program and name it 'commander32'.
Through this program, i tend to bring as many Win32 APIs as i can, up to
the surface of Windows Shell, emulate all of the old 16bit 'command.com',
and much more. The 'commander32' interpreter just execute the code in
its plug-in.

If anyone wants to implements a command or two, or,
wants to see what is all about,
please visit here : http://www.geocities.com/xkvirusgr/commander32.htm

[/code]

Comments

• AsmGuru62AsmGuru62 Posts: 6,519Member
    : [code]
    : Ok,it well know that modern OSes and programming languages, prevent users
    : to access their machines in the way they want to.
    : Another today fact is that command line tools as 'command.com' are going to
    : disappear in the few next years.So, noone but a programmer, will be able
    : to make simple things with his machine unless he has a specific software
    : for that.Why not anyone can show a message box, make a delete, a dir command
    : or play some mp3s or videos from his command line ? Why microsoft dont update
    : 'command.com' to support the Windows but prefers to kill it ?
    : To get in the point, i made a program and name it 'commander32'.
    : Through this program, i tend to bring as many Win32 APIs as i can, up to
    : the surface of Windows Shell, emulate all of the old 16bit 'command.com',
    : and much more. The 'commander32' interpreter just execute the code in
    : its plug-in.
    :
    : If anyone wants to implements a command or two, or,
    : wants to see what is all about,
    : please visit here : http://www.geocities.com/xkvirusgr/commander32.htm
    :
    : [/code]
    :
    [blue]You can work with files (delete, copy, move) using existing COMMAND.COM, but that is it - you cannot do any GUI from that COMMAND.COM, so why invent a wheel?
    [/blue]
  • xkgdiamxkgdiam Posts: 111Member
    : : [code]
    : : Ok,it well know that modern OSes and programming languages, prevent users
    : : to access their machines in the way they want to.
    : : Another today fact is that command line tools as 'command.com' are going to
    : : disappear in the few next years.So, noone but a programmer, will be able
    : : to make simple things with his machine unless he has a specific software
    : : for that.Why not anyone can show a message box, make a delete, a dir command
    : : or play some mp3s or videos from his command line ? Why microsoft dont update
    : : 'command.com' to support the Windows but prefers to kill it ?
    : : To get in the point, i made a program and name it 'commander32'.
    : : Through this program, i tend to bring as many Win32 APIs as i can, up to
    : : the surface of Windows Shell, emulate all of the old 16bit 'command.com',
    : : and much more. The 'commander32' interpreter just execute the code in
    : : its plug-in.
    : :
    : : If anyone wants to implements a command or two, or,
    : : wants to see what is all about,
    : : please visit here : http://www.geocities.com/xkvirusgr/commander32.htm
    : : [/code]
    : [blue]You can work with files (delete, copy, move) using existing COMMAND.COM, but that is it - you cannot do any GUI from that COMMAND.COM, so why invent a wheel?
    : [/blue]
    :
    i think the wheel is already somewhere in the OS but hidden and secret,
    i think that i can find him and that we can turn him as we like
    : : [blue]You can work with files (delete, copy, move) using existing COMMAND.COM, but that is it - you cannot do any GUI from that COMMAND.COM, so why invent a wheel?
    : : [/blue]
    : i think the wheel is already somewhere in the OS but hidden and secret,
    : i think that i can find him and that we can turn him as we like
    :
    I think the wheel is the OS itself.And that happens in any OS.
  • SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAPosts: 1,035Member
    No offense, but you're 100% wrong and aside from emulating DOS for gaming purposes, that's a waste of time. How do you think certain virii work? They go even lower-level than the standard Win32 file operations and access the hard-drive itself. It can still be done, you just have to know how. Windows can do EVERYTHING DOS could and a whole lot more. I suggest you check out the MSDN, even though most of the examples I've found on it have been wrong lately, and some info is left out, but it can get you on your way.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

: No offense, but you're 100% wrong and aside from emulating DOS for gaming purposes, that's a waste of time. How do you think certain virii work? They go even lower-level than the standard Win32 file operations and access the hard-drive itself. It can still be done, you just have to know how. Windows can do EVERYTHING DOS could and a whole lot more. I suggest you check out the MSDN, even though most of the examples I've found on it have been wrong lately, and some info is left out, but it can get you on your way.
    :
    : -[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]
    :
    :
    i'm not going to emulate Dos, this is what Microsoft do.
    i'm just going to do some clear Win32 API calls
    like you said WINDOWS can do everything,(almost).
  • SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAPosts: 1,035Member
    : i'm not going to emulate Dos, this is what Microsoft do.
    : i'm just going to do some clear Win32 API calls
    : like you said WINDOWS can do everything,(almost).
    :
    There is no almost about it. If you're referring to Win95, Win98, or NT4 and below, you are partially right. However, in 2000, ME, and XP, the Win32 API can do anything you want. Look it up.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

• AsmGuru62AsmGuru62 Posts: 6,519Member
    : : No offense, but you're 100% wrong and aside from emulating DOS for gaming purposes, that's a waste of time. How do you think certain virii work? They go even lower-level than the standard Win32 file operations and access the hard-drive itself. It can still be done, you just have to know how. Windows can do EVERYTHING DOS could and a whole lot more. I suggest you check out the MSDN, even though most of the examples I've found on it have been wrong lately, and some info is left out, but it can get you on your way.
    : : -[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]
    : i'm not going to emulate Dos, this is what Microsoft do.
    : i'm just going to do some clear Win32 API calls
    : like you said WINDOWS can do everything,(almost).
    :
    [blue]That is my concern exactly... Win32 API is not oriented for command line - if anything - it is oriented for graphics and such. You can implement some functions, of course, like a task view or manipulate files, but that is it. If you want to create a full scaled window from command line - how you will work with it? [/blue]
    : [blue]That is my concern exactly... Win32 API is not oriented for command line - if anything - it is oriented for graphics and such. You can implement some functions, of course, like a task view or manipulate files, but that is it. If you want to create a full scaled window from command line - how you will work with it? [/blue]
    :
    I agree, you could create a window from command line but it wil be useless cause it would almost imposible to control it under an command line and make something usefull and not complex.
    It just an interface to call Dll functions or APIs passing arguments of any kind,not only string ones.
    As i said in another post "ALL programs are useless until you find a way to use them for YOUR needs".
    And everyone has his own needs, as well as his own criteria about the
    word 'usefull'.