Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

condts emailing password

hi there, i've done an encryption for the password and a password retrival page for the user. now when the email is sent the password is displayed as haha%%--%% instead of just haha(an example). Anyone can tell me how to get rid of the redundant symbols?

Comments

• ManningManning Posts: 1,621Member
    : hi there, i've done an encryption for the password and a password retrival page for the user. now when the email is sent the password is displayed as haha%%--%% instead of just haha(an example). Anyone can tell me how to get rid of the redundant symbols?

First you need to find out if it's the e-mail client or your code causing the symbols to show up. Try outputting the content of the message to the screen before you e-mail it, and see if the symbols show up there. If they do, you'll need to post your code for us to help fix the problem. If they don't show up, that means it's probably the client doing it.

I found out that Outlook Express inserts characters into messages when it wraps really long lines. So what I do to solve that is add some linefeeds manually. For example:

Old Style:
    [code]
    strMsg = "Imagine this to be a really long line
    "
    strMsg = strMsg & "And imagine this to be another really long line
    "
    strMsg = strMsg & "And yet another really long line
    "
    objEmail.Body = strMsg
    [/code]

I have HTML
    tags in there to make the output show up on the next line, but the string itself is one huge line. When Outlook wraps that line, I get funny characters. So this is what I use instead now:

New Style:
    [code]
    strMsg = "Imagine this to be a really long line
    " & vbCrlf
    strMsg = strMsg & "And imagine this to be another really long line
    " & vbCrlf
    strMsg = strMsg & "And yet another really long line
    " & vbCrlf
    objEmail.Body = strMsg
    [/code]

Now when Outlook receives the message it will be 3 seperate long lines, instead of one extremely long line.

Maybe that's not the same problem you're having, but it's good to know for future reference either way :-)