Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Hardware clock

I have a nForce2 Mobo which apparently has a faulty real-time/hardware clock.
The clock will retain any time set in BIOS but doesn't 'tick'.
I don't want to have to get a new Motherboard and I can get around this problem in windows by updating my system clock at boot over a broadband connection.
I would like to do something similar on a linux system, but both distros I have tried install without any errors but freeze on the 'configuring kernel' step.
Does anyone know if I can do anything to prevent the kernel configuration script from trying to do whatever it is doing with the RTC which freezes the program. Once I have access to the system I would imagine I could update the system time at boot as I do currently with windows.

Comments

• KylixenKylixen Member Posts: 14
    [b][red]This message was edited by Kylixen at 2003-12-30 16:26:33[/red][/b][hr]
    : I have a nForce2 Mobo which apparently has a faulty real-time/hardware clock.
    : The clock will retain any time set in BIOS but doesn't 'tick'.
    : I don't want to have to get a new Motherboard and I can get around this problem in windows by updating my system clock at boot over a broadband connection.
    : I would like to do something similar on a linux system, but both distros I have tried install without any errors but freeze on the 'configuring kernel' step.
    : Does anyone know if I can do anything to prevent the kernel configuration script from trying to do whatever it is doing with the RTC which freezes the program. Once I have access to the system I would imagine I could update the system time at boot as I do currently with windows.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :

RedHat 9 has the option of connecting to a network time protocol server and setting the time for you, I imagine the OS keeps track after the update. If you are having trouble with a Linux distrobution updating the kernel config, install a precompiled kernel. Get Gentoo or Slackware which use precompiled kernels. You will have to rebuild it to optimize it, but it will work out of the box. Also try slackware before Gentoo, Gentoo is for the advanced user, even though it's got a wonderful tutorial with it. I would recommend it to anybody who is interested from building from kernel.

--Kylixen