Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

what is "C:windowssystem32edit.com" ?

I am always interested in the further securing my computer in anyway possible. This has led to many formats of my hard drive, but I learn. Anyway, as I was fumbling through "C:windowssystem32" and I came across edit.com --- I opened the program, and it came up with that screen. Well, I have searched and searched but nothing seems to lead me to the answer. What is "C:windowssystem32edit.com", and what is it used for?

P.S. If it helps, im running WinXP...
Thanx for your answers.
- S. Tranton

Comments

• weiccoweicco Posts: 950Member
    : I am always interested in the further securing my computer in anyway possible. This has led to many formats of my hard drive, but I learn. Anyway, as I was fumbling through "C:windowssystem32" and I came across edit.com --- I opened the program, and it came up with that screen. Well, I have searched and searched but nothing seems to lead me to the answer. What is "C:windowssystem32edit.com", and what is it used for?
    :
    : P.S. If it helps, im running WinXP...
    : Thanx for your answers.
    : - S. Tranton
    :

Text editor.
  • SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAPosts: 1,035Member
    : : I am always interested in the further securing my computer in anyway possible. This has led to many formats of my hard drive, but I learn. Anyway, as I was fumbling through "C:windowssystem32" and I came across edit.com --- I opened the program, and it came up with that screen. Well, I have searched and searched but nothing seems to lead me to the answer. What is "C:windowssystem32edit.com", and what is it used for?
    : :
    : : P.S. If it helps, im running WinXP...
    : : Thanx for your answers.
    : : - S. Tranton
    :
    : Text editor.
    :
    OLD DOS text editor. We're talking ancient.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

• AsmGuru62AsmGuru62 Posts: 6,519Member
    : : : I am always interested in the further securing my computer in anyway possible. This has led to many formats of my hard drive, but I learn. Anyway, as I was fumbling through "C:windowssystem32" and I came across edit.com --- I opened the program, and it came up with that screen. Well, I have searched and searched but nothing seems to lead me to the answer. What is "C:windowssystem32edit.com", and what is it used for?
    : : :
    : : : P.S. If it helps, im running WinXP...
    : : : Thanx for your answers.
    : : : - S. Tranton
    : : Text editor.
    : OLD DOS text editor. We're talking ancient.
    :
    : -[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]
    :
    :
    [blue]That's nothing... I have found EDLIN (!!!) in my WinXP! No kidding... That is a line editor I coded with in 1986. It means you edit your source file, by the line at a time - there is no cursor up down or left right - you have to give a text command, like:

+8 r 3 "Hello"

that mean at column offset 8 replace 3 symbols with text 'Hello'.

NOW, we talking ancient!
    [/blue]
  • weiccoweicco Posts: 950Member
    : : : : I am always interested in the further securing my computer in anyway possible. This has led to many formats of my hard drive, but I learn. Anyway, as I was fumbling through "C:windowssystem32" and I came across edit.com --- I opened the program, and it came up with that screen. Well, I have searched and searched but nothing seems to lead me to the answer. What is "C:windowssystem32edit.com", and what is it used for?
    : : : :
    : : : : P.S. If it helps, im running WinXP...
    : : : : Thanx for your answers.
    : : : : - S. Tranton
    : : : :
    : : : Text editor.
    : : OLD DOS text editor. We're talking ancient.
    : : -[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]
    : [blue]That's nothing... I have found EDLIN (!!!) in my WinXP! No kidding... That is a line editor I coded with in 1986. It means you edit your source file, by the line at a time - there is no cursor up down or left right - you have to give a text command, like:
    :
    : +8 r 3 "Hello"
    :
    : that mean at column offset 8 replace 3 symbols with text 'Hello'.
    :
    : NOW, we talking ancient!
    : [/blue]
    :

The whole COM format is ancient :)
  • jtcoelhojtcoelho Posts: 44Member
    : [blue]That's nothing... I have found EDLIN (!!!) in my WinXP! No kidding... That is a line editor I coded with in 1986. It means you edit your source file, by the line at a time - there is no cursor up down or left right - you have to give a text command, like:
    :
    : +8 r 3 "Hello"
    :
    : that mean at column offset 8 replace 3 symbols with text 'Hello'.
    :
    : NOW, we talking ancient!
    : [/blue]
    :
    Holly Cow, i had totally forgotten about edlin and it was 1988 when i first started playing with PCs.

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAPosts: 1,035Member
    : Holly Cow, i had totally forgotten about edlin and it was 1988 when i first started playing with PCs.
    :
    :
    1988? You're just some n00b! I started in '81 on an Atari400 with the 410 cassette-drive. It's sitting behind me under my bed, still working. Go Atari!!

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]