Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

How do you make an object glow?

liviu2003liviu2003 Member Posts: 8
I've seen in 3D Studio MAX ,Maya and many other graphical applications(including 3D games) a glow effect applied to different objects(spheres mainly).
How do you actually do that,it's something already figured by those guys who made OpenGL or DirectX or it involves an algorithm.

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAMember Posts: 1,035
    : I've seen in 3D Studio MAX ,Maya and many other graphical applications(including 3D games) a glow effect applied to different objects(spheres mainly).
    : How do you actually do that,it's something already figured by those guys who made OpenGL or DirectX or it involves an algorithm.
    :
    : Thanks in advance,
    :
    :
    In GL, I'd just plop a light in the center of the sphere, and unless you left culling off, it'll glow because the inside of the sphere isn't being drawn.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

• chick80chick80 Member Posts: 349
    : : I've seen in 3D Studio MAX ,Maya and many other graphical applications(including 3D games) a glow effect applied to different objects(spheres mainly).
    : : How do you actually do that,it's something already figured by those guys who made OpenGL or DirectX or it involves an algorithm.
    : :
    : : Thanks in advance,
    : :
    I think you can also use a vertex shader to simulate glow... you can draw the object in 2 passes: in the first you draw the object itself, in the second you draw the object scaled up and with some cool transparent effect on it! (I have not tested this, but it should work. Check http://developer.nvidia.com and you'll surely find something interesting).

nICO

[hr]
    [italic]How beautiful, if Sorrow had not made sorrow more beautiful than Beauty itself.[/italic]
    JOHN KEATS

• gautamgautam Member Posts: 642
    You should be able to do glow effects by combining material and color properties too.

: : : I've seen in 3D Studio MAX ,Maya and many other graphical applications(including 3D games) a glow effect applied to different objects(spheres mainly).
    : : : How do you actually do that,it's something already figured by those guys who made OpenGL or DirectX or it involves an algorithm.
    : : :
    : : : Thanks in advance,
    : : :
    : I think you can also use a vertex shader to simulate glow... you can draw the object in 2 passes: in the first you draw the object itself, in the second you draw the object scaled up and with some cool transparent effect on it! (I have not tested this, but it should work. Check http://developer.nvidia.com and you'll surely find something interesting).
    :
    : nICO
    :
    : [hr]
    : [italic]How beautiful, if Sorrow had not made sorrow more beautiful than Beauty itself.[/italic]
    : JOHN KEATS
    :
    :
    :

• geoshradgeoshrad Member Posts: 6
    Oh man

It is easy

select the object then take the properties of that object in the gbuffer section give a number to the object ID (Remember this number)

Then take the effects section add the lens flare add the glow Effect in the Options section (Of Glow) change the Object id to teh number you gave earlier then render it

( I believe this is the solution i will confirm it and tell you if the field is Gbuffer it self)

http://www.geoshrad.co.nr (This site has a lot of sources files Tutorials ..For 3d maX

George Joseph
    graphics@scientist22000.cjb.net

• geoshradgeoshrad Member Posts: 6
    In the properties section the field is object channel ID (Give Any Number)
    This number is to be given in the object ID(Enable It) in the options in Glow in Effect Dialog BOx

George Joseph
    http://www.geoshrad.co.nr