Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

how do u make games

what language is used for making videogames like ps2, xbox or for the computer?

Comments

• Wannabean333Wannabean333 Posts: 85Member
    : what language is used for making videogames like ps2, xbox or for the computer?
    :
    It doesnt matter what language really, but you need the libraries and SDK for those platforms. I think I know what you want though, you think you can just sit down one day and make a new halo or GTA vice city. Let me be blunt here, look at the credits for games on those platforms. Count how many names there are. Then, research how long it took for that many people to make that game. Then, multiply that time by the number of people, and that is how long it would take you to make that game. For example, say u take Half life, a team of about 100 people, and 1 year. Now, for you to make a half life game, it would take you: 100 years. Only in the 80's were commercial games made by 1 or 2 people, so get real.

No offense or anything i just get carried away when people ask questions like that.

"It's only worth what someone will pay for it."
    -Wannabean333 (*********)

• Homerun31Homerun31 Posts: 99Member
    no. i just wanted to know how they made games like that.

: : what language is used for making videogames like ps2, xbox or for the computer?
    : :
    : It doesnt matter what language really, but you need the libraries and SDK for those platforms. I think I know what you want though, you think you can just sit down one day and make a new halo or GTA vice city. Let me be blunt here, look at the credits for games on those platforms. Count how many names there are. Then, research how long it took for that many people to make that game. Then, multiply that time by the number of people, and that is how long it would take you to make that game. For example, say u take Half life, a team of about 100 people, and 1 year. Now, for you to make a half life game, it would take you: 100 years. Only in the 80's were commercial games made by 1 or 2 people, so get real.
    :
    : No offense or anything i just get carried away when people ask questions like that.
    :
    : "It's only worth what someone will pay for it."
    : -Wannabean333 (*********)
    :
    :

• kreitlerkreitler Posts: 218Member
    Hey Homerun,
    To make "professional" games for consoles and/or PC, you generally have the following setup: there are three teams, one for art, one for design (game design) and one for programming. The artists use tools like Photoshop and 3D Studio Max to create the models and textures you see in the games. The programmers use compilers to create code in C or C++ and assembly the drives the game. The design team sits somewhere between these two, using some art tools to design levels and some programming tools to write scripts. They create the basic level designs and write code that makes the game engine actually run the game (for example, the programmers write the code that makes it possible to shoot fireballs, and the designers write scripts that tell the game how and when to shoot them).
    Wannabean is correct when he explains that modern big budget games take hundreds of man-years to complete. However, it's still possible for 1 or 2 people to make smaller games that are still quite fun. Check out www.popcap.com for an example of a successful business modeled on games of this sort. In this case, one could also write the games in Java.
    If you want to start learning game programming, there are lots of places to start. Just don't expect to start out writing Virtua Fighter or Halo. If you can get past that, you're in for some late nights and a lot of fun.

Cheers,

Kreitler

: no. i just wanted to know how they made games like that.
    :
    :
    : : : what language is used for making videogames like ps2, xbox or for the computer?
    : : :
    : : It doesnt matter what language really, but you need the libraries and SDK for those platforms. I think I know what you want though, you think you can just sit down one day and make a new halo or GTA vice city. Let me be blunt here, look at the credits for games on those platforms. Count how many names there are. Then, research how long it took for that many people to make that game. Then, multiply that time by the number of people, and that is how long it would take you to make that game. For example, say u take Half life, a team of about 100 people, and 1 year. Now, for you to make a half life game, it would take you: 100 years. Only in the 80's were commercial games made by 1 or 2 people, so get real.
    : : No offense or anything i just get carried away when people ask questions like that.
    : : "It's only worth what someone will pay for it."
    : : -Wannabean333 (*********)
    :
    :

• hasse32hasse32 Posts: 9Member
    : what language is used for making videogames like ps2, xbox or for the computer?
    :
    hi,

I'm in the some situation the you are i'm still learning code for c++ and my goal is to become a game programmer so if you want to keep in contact here is my email hasse_32@hotmail.com

jan