Updating database problems - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Updating database problems

davidrtgdavidrtg Posts: 95Member
[b][red]This message was edited by davidrtg at 2003-11-28 13:33:25[/red][/b][hr]
I'm trying to update a record with the following code and its not working. $dbh is working and pulling stuff from the database. Can you see any reason as to why this wouldn't update the record?
[code]
$dbh->do("UPDATE directory SET name = '$name', desc = '$desc' WHERE id = $i");
[/code]I've tried name = $name as well id = '$i'. I know that $i is equal to the ID number of the record that I want to update.

This is the error from the error_log file
[code]
You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'desc = 'Saw Sharpening' WHERE id = 1' at line 1 at admin.cgi
[/code]

Thanks,
David

Comments

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 2,914Member
    : [b][red]This message was edited by davidrtg at 2003-11-28 13:33:25[/red][/b][hr]
    : I'm trying to update a record with the following code and its not working. $dbh is working and pulling stuff from the database. Can you see any reason as to why this wouldn't update the record?
    : [code]
    : $dbh->do("UPDATE directory SET name = '$name', desc = '$desc' WHERE id = $i");
    : [/code]I've tried name = $name as well id = '$i'. I know that $i is equal to the ID number of the record that I want to update.
    :
    : This is the error from the error_log file
    : [code]
    : You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'desc = 'Saw Sharpening' WHERE id = 1' at line 1 at admin.cgi
    : [/code]
    Hehe....desc is a MySQL keyword. I guess name is too, probably. Put backticks around field names to escape them, like `desc` and `name` and it should work fine.

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");