Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Updating database problems

davidrtgdavidrtg Posts: 95Member
[b][red]This message was edited by davidrtg at 2003-11-28 13:33:25[/red][/b][hr]
I'm trying to update a record with the following code and its not working. $dbh is working and pulling stuff from the database. Can you see any reason as to why this wouldn't update the record?
[code]
$dbh->do("UPDATE directory SET name = '$name', desc = '$desc' WHERE id = $i");
[/code]I've tried name = $name as well id = '$i'. I know that $i is equal to the ID number of the record that I want to update.

This is the error from the error_log file
[code]
You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'desc = 'Saw Sharpening' WHERE id = 1' at line 1 at admin.cgi
[/code]

Thanks,
David

Comments

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 2,914Member
    : [b][red]This message was edited by davidrtg at 2003-11-28 13:33:25[/red][/b][hr]
    : I'm trying to update a record with the following code and its not working. $dbh is working and pulling stuff from the database. Can you see any reason as to why this wouldn't update the record?
    : [code]
    : $dbh->do("UPDATE directory SET name = '$name', desc = '$desc' WHERE id = $i");
    : [/code]I've tried name = $name as well id = '$i'. I know that $i is equal to the ID number of the record that I want to update.
    :
    : This is the error from the error_log file
    : [code]
    : You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'desc = 'Saw Sharpening' WHERE id = 1' at line 1 at admin.cgi
    : [/code]
    Hehe....desc is a MySQL keyword. I guess name is too, probably. Put backticks around field names to escape them, like `desc` and `name` and it should work fine.

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");