Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Help! Can anyone recommend a Bootable File Transfer Utility?

robinbrorobinbro Member Posts: 2
Can anyone please recommend a downloadable file transfer utility that will allow me to transfer files from a PC whose Windows 98 operating system will not boot? It will not come up in Safe Mode and I suspect that the Boot Sector is corrupt or wiped (virus?).

Have spent the day looking on the web for a utility that I can boot from floppy on 'dead' PC to transfer files to second PC via direct parallel port connection while preserving long file names.

Can anybody please help?

Thanks, robinbro.

Comments

• blipblip Member Posts: 756
    I don't know of any, sorry. I really replied to ask why can't you just temporarily move the hard drive from the working computer to boot from on the busted one to then do the copying? Besides, transfers over parallel ports via such a cable would be considered horrendously slow compared to today's standards, taking forever to copy more than a few files. Coincidentally, I'm working on a program that hopefully will have such capabilities among other things as a replacement for the now useless INTERLNK/INTERSVR programs from back in the DOS days. Btw, those won't work for you because they're known for only working on FAT12 or FAT16 partitions on INT 13h accessible drives, using them with FAT32 causes FS corruption.
  • robinbrorobinbro Member Posts: 2
    : I don't know of any, sorry. I really replied to ask why can't you just temporarily move the hard drive from the working computer to boot from on the busted one to then do the copying? Besides, transfers over parallel ports via such a cable would be considered horrendously slow compared to today's standards, taking forever to copy more than a few files. Coincidentally, I'm working on a program that hopefully will have such capabilities among other things as a replacement for the now useless INTERLNK/INTERSVR programs from back in the DOS days. Btw, those won't work for you because they're known for only working on FAT12 or FAT16 partitions on INT 13h accessible drives, using them with FAT32 causes FS corruption.
    :
    Thank's for your reply blip.

I omitted to mention in my original message that broken PC is a notebook with 2 1/2 inch drive, otherwise would have done as you suggest, except would have configured the unbootable drive as a slave in the desktop.

I'm getting desperate enough to start writing my own utility as some data on notebook (pictures of now departed family) are of extreme sentimental value.

OK I should have backed them up before now, you know how it goes, we live and learn!

Many Thank's anyway, robinbro
  • dc_234dc_234 Member Posts: 1
    : : I don't know of any, sorry. I really replied to ask why can't you just temporarily move the hard drive from the working computer to boot from on the busted one to then do the copying? Besides, transfers over parallel ports via such a cable would be considered horrendously slow compared to today's standards, taking forever to copy more than a few files. Coincidentally, I'm working on a program that hopefully will have such capabilities among other things as a replacement for the now useless INTERLNK/INTERSVR programs from back in the DOS days. Btw, those won't work for you because they're known for only working on FAT12 or FAT16 partitions on INT 13h accessible drives, using them with FAT32 causes FS corruption.
    : :
    : Thank's for your reply blip.
    :
    : I omitted to mention in my original message that broken PC is a notebook with 2 1/2 inch drive, otherwise would have done as you suggest, except would have configured the unbootable drive as a slave in the desktop.
    :
    : I'm getting desperate enough to start writing my own utility as some data on notebook (pictures of now departed family) are of extreme sentimental value.
    :
    : OK I should have backed them up before now, you know how it goes, we live and learn!
    :
    : Many Thank's anyway, robinbro
    :
    How about getting a 3.5" to 2.5" cable from maplin then you can just read the drive on your desktop computer I got one from maplin
  • dededede Member Posts: 145
    why don't U use Norton Ghost? you can gather your stuff in a partition, make an image for this partition, move it to another or wherever. you can restore it with the same software, it runs under dos.
    and it has ability to copy a whole disk to another, or backup your whole HDD..
    Good Luck
    dede:-)

• bvnsevenbvnseven Member Posts: 1
    try snapfiles.com. they may have something to help.