Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Problem with sendmail

akalexi312akalexi312 Member Posts: 31

Hi all,

i recently installed red hat linux 8.0. i have two user accounts in my system namely "anand" and "raghu". when i tried to send a mail from raghu to anand using the mail command i did not see mail being recieved by anand. I have not done anything like configuration for mailing before i did this.

I tried opening the log file for the mail through root account.
It shows following status for the a sample mail which i sent from "raghu" account to "anand" account at 10:21 AM.

log message:

Nov 26 10:21:00 localhost sendmail[1559] hAQFL0KG001559 : to=anand(500/100) , delay=00:00:00 xdelay=00:00:00 mailer=relay , pri=30238 , relay=localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1], dsn=4.0.0 stat=deffered : connection refused by localhost.localdomain

Do i have to do any configuration for mail service in linux before i use it.if so give steps as to what to do?

regards
akalexi312

Comments

• satharielsathariel Member Posts: 59
    :
    : Hi all,
    :
    : i recently installed red hat linux 8.0. i have two user accounts in my system namely "anand" and "raghu". when i tried to send a mail from raghu to anand using the mail command i did not see mail being recieved by anand. I have not done anything like configuration for mailing before i did this.
    :
    : I tried opening the log file for the mail through root account.
    : It shows following status for the a sample mail which i sent from "raghu" account to "anand" account at 10:21 AM.
    :
    : log message:
    :
    : Nov 26 10:21:00 localhost sendmail[1559] hAQFL0KG001559 : to=anand(500/100) , delay=00:00:00 xdelay=00:00:00 mailer=relay , pri=30238 , relay=localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1], dsn=4.0.0 stat=deffered : connection refused by localhost.localdomain
    :
    :
    : Do i have to do any configuration for mail service in linux before i use it.if so give steps as to what to do?
    :
    : regards
    : akalexi312

Hi,

sure You will have to configure Your MTA, but first You should find out, if sendmail is really Your mail transfer agent. You can use ps to find out, and do an ls -l on the given MTA, so You will also see, that it isnt a link to anthoer MTA.
    If it is sendmail that is running, than I recommend, that You choose another MTA, because sendmail is very very hard to configure (the oreilly book contains more than 1000 pages!).
    Normally, Linux boxes run postfix (as I know). But an easy to install and configure MTA should be qmail. You can find the Howto here:

http://www.flounder.net/qmail/qmail-howto.html

Maybe this will help You. There are also a lot of articles in the Internet, which discribe the switch from sendmail to qmail. I dont think, that there are many people, who can help You to configure sendmail through a thread.

regards
    Thorsten
    [black]SaThaRiel

If you want to know what god thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to.[/black]