Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Modem Does Not Detect

PandianASMPandianASM Member Posts: 26
hai
i, recentlly ,installed RetHat Linux. actually i am new to linux.
so far i worked with windows platform. In windows platform modem works well. but in LINUX modem could not detect. is there any manual or automaic detection process availale? please give me

Comments

• XfactorXfactor Member Posts: 343
    : hai
    : i, recentlly ,installed RetHat Linux. actually i am new to linux.
    : so far i worked with windows platform. In windows platform modem works well. but in LINUX modem could not detect. is there any manual or automaic detection process availale? please give me
    :
    Sounds like you have a winmodem, which is a software driven modem designed for windows (mostly). If this is the case, you're out of luck.
    You can check this page http://hardware.redhat.com/hcl/ to see if you modem is supported.
  • GsibberyGsibbery Member Posts: 11
    You can try using an external modem -- they almost always work. Or just get a modem that Linux can use and install it.
  • vinay_vvinay_v Member Posts: 4
    : hai
    : i, recentlly ,installed RetHat Linux. actually i am new to linux.
    : so far i worked with windows platform. In windows platform modem works well. but in LINUX modem could not detect. is there any manual or automaic detection process availale? please give me
    :

Hi Pandian,

As someone else pointed out, you are definitely using an internal modem, usually called win-modem.. None of these are supported directly by Linux (or atleast RedHat). But there are always work arounds.. I was facing the same problem too.. I had an internal modem "PCTel". It took some time for me to find the appropriate drivers & get it to work. But eventually, it's working. It is better to make it work & gain some knowledge than just buying new harware... There are lot of other internal modems from different companies for which you can find drivers for Linux on Internet.

All you need to know first is - What is the model & Manufacturer of your modem? Then which version of RedHat Linux you are using (more than the version of RedHat, you'll need the GCC's version).. Then you need to know which port it is connected to (usually COM port).. If you have all these information ready with you, I can help you find the apt driver for the modem. Or you can find it for yourself.. Once you have found the driver, I can help you compile & install it to use the modem... Ofcourse, finding the driver is the toughest part.. But then you can always try.. If your modem is a Motorola internal modem, you'll get drivers from their website itself..

Gather sufficient info as I have explained above, & then contact me..

Vinay V

• Piotr HorzyckiPiotr Horzycki Member Posts: 8

It seems that you've got a PCI modem which is called a "winmodem" or "softmodem". Linux kernel doesn't include the proper drivers, so you have to install them on your own. See www.linmodems.org for more info. I guess you should find drivers right for your chipset.

--
    Piotr Horzycki, Poland
    mediaworks!tlen.pl
  • superjoe30superjoe30 Member Posts: 174
    : : so far i worked with windows platform. In windows platform modem works well. but in LINUX modem could not detect. is there any manual or automaic detection process availale? please give me
    :
    : It seems that you've got a PCI modem which is called a "winmodem" or "softmodem". Linux kernel doesn't include the proper drivers, so you have to install them on your own. See www.linmodems.org for more info. I guess you should find drivers right for your chipset.
    :
    : --
    : Piotr Horzycki, Poland
    : mediaworks!tlen.pl
    :

I'm having the same problem - I have a u. s. robotics pci faxmodem.
    I checked out that web site, and it turns out, u. s. robotics doesn't give out drivers. what a bummer.

_____ __________ _____
    _____-[red]SUPERJOE30[/red]-_____