compiling a class during runtime - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

compiling a class during runtime

markkelmarkkel Posts: 6Member
how do i compile a class (which has changed during runtime) during runtime?

Comments

• ram302ram302 Posts: 3Member
    : how do i compile a class (which has changed during runtime) during runtime?

: Just re-compile (if you're using and IDE, otherwise, just re-compile it with the javac command), but I don't think that your program currently running is gonna see any changes until you execute it after re-compiling it...I could be wrong, I sure hope not (I doubt it)

• arb123arb123 Posts: 696Member
    : how do i compile a class (which has changed during runtime) during runtime?
    :

You can recompile a class either by launching javac in a child process (can create spurious terminal windows under WIN32), or by calling the compiler class directly under the same VM. This second approach can be hit-and-miss because the compiler class varies between vendor implementations and Java versions (under Sun's Java 1.4.1 its [b]com.sun.tools.javac.Main[/b], but its been other things under other versions). Be careful if you're thinking about bundling the SDK with your app - the license for the full SDK is stricter than that of the JRE.

You can reload the resultant class(es) using your own ClassLoader (see [b]ClassLoader.defineClass(String, byte[], int, int)[/b]). There are a whole raft of gotchas here, but if you search the 'net you'll come up with the info you need; suffice to say you're not the first person that ever wanted to do this.

---------------------------------
    [size=1]HOWTO ask questions: http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html[/size]

• markkelmarkkel Posts: 6Member
    : : how do i compile a class (which has changed during runtime) during runtime?
    :
    : : Just re-compile (if you're using and IDE, otherwise, just re-compile it with the javac command), but I don't think that your program currently running is gonna see any changes until you execute it after re-compiling it...I could be wrong, I sure hope not (I doubt it)
    :
    : My program involves getting the average running time of a users algorithm. the user writes the class containing the algorithm themselves. this is why i will need to compile this class during runtime...