Random numbers to items in a list - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Random numbers to items in a list

The_BulletThe_Bullet Posts: 2Member
Very new to programming here (understatement) and am enjoying learning as I go and problem solving. I have been playing around with random numbers and have no problem (as yet) using them in a program. However, I would like to know if there is a way to asign a random number to each of the items in a list. Thus- for example 8 items in a list would be each assigned an indivual random number from 1 to 8.
Thank you

Comments

• infidelinfidel Posts: 2,900Member
    : Very new to programming here (understatement) and am enjoying learning as I go and problem solving. I have been playing around with random numbers and have no problem (as yet) using them in a program. However, I would like to know if there is a way to asign a random number to each of the items in a list. Thus- for example 8 items in a list would be each assigned an indivual random number from 1 to 8.

Glad to have you on board. Python is a great language.

Python comes with a very capable randomness module already. All you have to do is "import random". Here is a quick example of how to do what you ask. I recommend reading the module documentation yourself. If you're on Windows, go to Start->Programs->Python x.y->Python Manuals
    and then click on "Global Module Index". There you'll find all the standard stuff that Python comes with.

[code]
    >>> import random
    >>> l = []
    >>> for i in range(8):
    ... l.append(random.randint(1,8))
    >>> l
    [8, 3, 6, 7, 4, 1, 6, 5]
    >>>
    [/code]

Let me know if you have any other questions or if this code snippet didn't make sense to you.

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

• The_BulletThe_Bullet Posts: 2Member
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, that's great, and as usual (for me at least :) ) a few simple logical lines of instructions suffice where I would usually write reams and reams to get an inferior result. My main problem was ensuring that each list item was given a "different" random number, and this does just that.
    Thanks
  • infidelinfidel Posts: 2,900Member
    : Thanks for the reply. Yes, that's great, and as usual (for me at least :) ) a few simple logical lines of instructions suffice where I would usually write reams and reams to get an inferior result. My main problem was ensuring that each list item was given a "different" random number, and this does just that.

Glad to help. This board has very little traffic, so anything you need help with I'd be glad to take a look at.

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]