Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

How do I access all the advanced finctions of a graphics card?

liviu2003liviu2003 Member Posts: 8
Hello there,

Until now I've used OpenGL in C++ Builder and Visual C++ and just made several test with texture mapping, blending etc. What I noticed from the start was that i didn't used the graphics finctions of my nVidia GeForce 4. Now I wonder, isn,t there any way to access it's advanced graphics functions and obtain better performace in an application? I think there must be a way since all the game developers and 3D programs like "MAYA" and "3D Studio MAX" must surely use of these to obtain the results they do.

I thank thy in advance

Comments

• gautamgautam Member Posts: 642
    Well seems like you are already wanting to use extensions :). I won' go down to the details of it but go down to this link and you have questions after that, go ahead and ask :)

http://www.opengl.org/developers/code/features/OGLextensions/OGLextensions.html

: Hello there,
    :
    : Until now I've used OpenGL in C++ Builder and Visual C++ and just made several test with texture mapping, blending etc. What I noticed from the start was that i didn't used the graphics finctions of my nVidia GeForce 4. Now I wonder, isn,t there any way to access it's advanced graphics functions and obtain better performace in an application? I think there must be a way since all the game developers and 3D programs like "MAYA" and "3D Studio MAX" must surely use of these to obtain the results they do.
    :
    : I thank thy in advance
    :
    :

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAMember Posts: 1,035
    : Hello there,
    :
    : Until now I've used OpenGL in C++ Builder and Visual C++ and just made several test with texture mapping, blending etc. What I noticed from the start was that i didn't used the graphics finctions of my nVidia GeForce 4. Now I wonder, isn,t there any way to access it's advanced graphics functions and obtain better performace in an application? I think there must be a way since all the game developers and 3D programs like "MAYA" and "3D Studio MAX" must surely use of these to obtain the results they do.
    :
    : I thank thy in advance
    :
    :
    Actually, those functions slow down to do processing. What speeds up frames is stuff like face-culling, vis-leafs, and other methods used in all the major game-engines. These methods determine in advance what can be seen form most locations, and then any polygons/triangles that aren't in view won't even be sent to GL for drawing, thus VASTLY decreasing the drawing loop(s). The advanced functions you're talking about (stuff that can do pixel-shading, refelctions, etc) slow the drawing process.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

• liviu2003liviu2003 Member Posts: 8
    : : Hello there,
    : :
    : : Until now I've used OpenGL in C++ Builder and Visual C++ and just made several test with texture mapping, blending etc. What I noticed from the start was that i didn't used the graphics finctions of my nVidia GeForce 4. Now I wonder, isn,t there any way to access it's advanced graphics functions and obtain better performace in an application? I think there must be a way since all the game developers and 3D programs like "MAYA" and "3D Studio MAX" must surely use of these to obtain the results they do.
    : : I thank thy in advance
    : Actually, those functions slow down to do processing. What speeds up frames is stuff like face-culling, vis-leafs, and other methods used in all the major game-engines. These methods determine in advance what can be seen form most locations, and then any polygons/triangles that aren't in view won't even be sent to GL for drawing, thus VASTLY decreasing the drawing loop(s). The advanced functions you're talking about (stuff that can do pixel-shading, refelctions, etc) slow the drawing process.
    :
    : -[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]
    :
    :

thanks for the tip!