how to convert an exe application to a dll - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

how to convert an exe application to a dll

I am wondering if it's possible to convert an executable to a dll.
I wrote a windows application that is called by a 16bit application. I was thinking that it might be easier to just make the windows app a dll and then just call the winmain in the windows app from the 16bit app. Is it possible to do this ?

Comments

• weiccoweicco Posts: 950Member
    : I am wondering if it's possible to convert an executable to a dll.
    : I wrote a windows application that is called by a 16bit application. I was thinking that it might be easier to just make the windows app a dll and then just call the winmain in the windows app from the 16bit app. Is it possible to do this ?
    :

Write little .def file and tell linker to use it with /DEF:file.def option. def-file defines entrypoints to DLL like this:

LIBRARY yourlibraryname
    EXPORTS
    WinMain

Oh, and write DllMain-entrypoint somewhere...
  • jtcoelhojtcoelho Posts: 44Member
    : : I am wondering if it's possible to convert an executable to a dll.
    : : I wrote a windows application that is called by a 16bit application. I was thinking that it might be easier to just make the windows app a dll and then just call the winmain in the windows app from the 16bit app. Is it possible to do this ?
    : :
    :
    : Write little .def file and tell linker to use it with /DEF:file.def option. def-file defines entrypoints to DLL like this:
    :
    : LIBRARY yourlibraryname
    : EXPORTS
    : WinMain
    :
    : Oh, and write DllMain-entrypoint somewhere...
    :
    Much appreciated, thanks. But i have a stupid question. Where do i use the DLLMain entry point ? In the WinMain file ?

: : I am wondering if it's possible to convert an executable to a dll.
    : : I wrote a windows application that is called by a 16bit application. I was thinking that it might be easier to just make the windows app a dll and then just call the winmain in the windows app from the 16bit app. Is it possible to do this ?
    :
    : Write little .def file and tell linker to use it with /DEF:file.def option. def-file defines entrypoints to DLL like this:
    :
    : LIBRARY yourlibraryname
    : EXPORTS
    : WinMain
    :
    : Oh, and write DllMain-entrypoint somewhere...
    One more question. What about the rc file, can i still use it or do i need to do anything with it ?
    :

: : : I am wondering if it's possible to convert an executable to a dll.
    : : : I wrote a windows application that is called by a 16bit application. I was thinking that it might be easier to just make the windows app a dll and then just call the winmain in the windows app from the 16bit app. Is it possible to do this ?
    : : :
    : : Write little .def file and tell linker to use it with /DEF:file.def option. def-file defines entrypoints to DLL like this:
    : : LIBRARY yourlibraryname
    : : EXPORTS
    : : WinMain
    : : Oh, and write DllMain-entrypoint somewhere...
    : Much appreciated, thanks. But i have a stupid question. Where do i use the DLLMain entry point ? In the WinMain file ?
    :
    :

It doesn't really matter if you do all the initialization stuff in WinMain. Stick DllMain-stub where ever you like, best place would propably be after DllMain. Just make that DllMain returns TRUE in all cases.
    : : : : I am wondering if it's possible to convert an executable to a dll.
    : : : : I wrote a windows application that is called by a 16bit application. I was thinking that it might be easier to just make the windows app a dll and then just call the winmain in the windows app from the 16bit app. Is it possible to do this ?
    : : : :
    : : : Write little .def file and tell linker to use it with /DEF:file.def option. def-file defines entrypoints to DLL like this:
    : : : LIBRARY yourlibraryname
    : : : EXPORTS
    : : : WinMain
    : : : Oh, and write DllMain-entrypoint somewhere...
    : : Much appreciated, thanks. But i have a stupid question. Where do i use the DLLMain entry point ? In the WinMain file ?
    :
    : It doesn't really matter if you do all the initialization stuff in WinMain. Stick DllMain-stub where ever you like, best place would propably be after DllMain. Just make that DllMain returns TRUE in all cases.
    :

Thanks again.
    I finally was able to get the dll working, but when i compile the executable that calls the dll i get the following warning message.

warning C4113: 'int (__stdcall *)()' differs in parameter lists from 'int (__stdcall *)(struct HINSTANCE__ *,struct HINSTANCE__ *,char *,int )'

The dll project has an entry point as well as the winmain function. I also declare the winmain in the calling program as int WINAPI WinMain(....);
    then in the calling program i load the library that contains the exported function WinMain with an alias CMyFunc.
    In the calling function i declare a function pointer as follows:
    int (WINAPI * fptr)(HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInst,LPSTR lpCmdLine,int nShowCmd);
    I use that function pointer to call GetProcAddress(hinst,"CMyFunc").
    That's the line that gives me the warning message. Otherwise the program works fine, it calls the DLL and it's great. Thanks, but i am concerned about the warning because i think i am doing everything correctly. Any ideas anyone ?
    Below is the code i am using in the calling program.
    hinstLib = LoadLibrary("mirpdll.dll");
    if( hinstLib != NULL)
    {
    fptr = GetProcAddress(hinstLib,"CMyFunc");
    if (fRunTimeLinkSuccess = (fptr != NULL))
    (fptr(hInst,NULL,str,0)) ;

// Free the DLL module.

fFreeResult = FreeLibrary(hinstLib);

}
    : I finally was able to get the dll working, but when i compile the executable that calls the dll i get the following warning message.
    :
    : warning C4113: 'int (__stdcall *)()' differs in parameter lists from 'int (__stdcall *)(struct HINSTANCE__ *,struct HINSTANCE__ *,char *,int )'
    :
    : The dll project has an entry point as well as the winmain function. I also declare the winmain in the calling program as int WINAPI WinMain(....);
    : then in the calling program i load the library that contains the exported function WinMain with an alias CMyFunc.
    : In the calling function i declare a function pointer as follows:
    : int (WINAPI * fptr)(HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInst,LPSTR lpCmdLine,int nShowCmd);
    : I use that function pointer to call GetProcAddress(hinst,"CMyFunc").
    : That's the line that gives me the warning message. Otherwise the program works fine, it calls the DLL and it's great. Thanks, but i am concerned about the warning because i think i am doing everything correctly. Any ideas anyone ?
    : Below is the code i am using in the calling program.
    : hinstLib = LoadLibrary("mirpdll.dll");
    : if( hinstLib != NULL)
    : {
    : fptr = GetProcAddress(hinstLib,"CMyFunc");
    : if (fRunTimeLinkSuccess = (fptr != NULL))
    : (fptr(hInst,NULL,str,0)) ;
    :
    : // Free the DLL module.
    :
    : fFreeResult = FreeLibrary(hinstLib);
    :
    : }
    :

Answer is simple :)

GetProcAddress returns pointer of type void (__stdcall *)(void). You need to cast it to correct form. In your case like this:

fptr = (int (WINAPI *)(HINSTANCE,HINSTANCE,LPSTR,int))GetProcAddress(...)