Opening Excel file through excel - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Opening Excel file through excel

rakeshVBrakeshVB Posts: 1Member
[b][red]This message was edited by rakeshVB at 2003-11-19 2:45:31[/red][/b][hr]
Hi every body!

Presently I am working on Excel modules where i have to collect data from Excel File into separate excel file. i want read few cells in of particular files & collect the data in to master excel file. I don't want to go for DDE.

i prefer reading the content of one excel file from another excel file by writing a macro(VBA) in to it.

Can any body help me in writing a macro for reading the content of one file to another file, even a small sudo code will help me a lot.

any help will be highly appreciated

Thanks a lot in advance.

Rakesh

Comments

• PavlinIIPavlinII Posts: 404Member
    : [b][red]This message was edited by rakeshVB at 2003-11-19 2:45:31[/red][/b][hr]
    : Hi every body!
    :
    : Presently I am working on Excel modules where i have to collect data from Excel File into separate excel file. i want read few cells in of particular files & collect the data in to master excel file. I don't want to go for DDE.
    :
    : i prefer reading the content of one excel file from another excel file by writing a macro(VBA) in to it.
    :
    : Can any body help me in writing a macro for reading the content of one file to another file, even a small sudo code will help me a lot.
    :
    : any help will be highly appreciated
    :
    :
    : Thanks a lot in advance.
    :
    : Rakesh
    :
    :
    :

So, if I can understand:
    You're writing macro (for example in your Master file) and this macro will collect several cells from another workbooks, right?
    [code]Public Sub CollectMyData()
    Workbooks.Open "F:DocsMyDoc1.xls" [green]'If your docs aren't opend[/green]
    Workbooks.Open "F:DocsMyDoc2.xls"
    Workbooks("MyDoc1.xls").Activate [green]'Make sure you've got activated the first Doc, you can also use index (and control if the name is right - may be faster way[/green]
    Worksheets("Data").Activate [green]'If you have more than one sheet[/green]
    Range("B2:B10").Copy
    Workbooks("Master.xls").Activate
    Worksheets("w21").Activate
    [green]'This will paste all (like Ctrl+V or ReturnKey)[/green]
    Range("C11").Select
    Activesheet.Paste
    [green]'This will pasteSpecial (Edit/PasteSpecial..)[/green]
    Range("C11").PasteSpecial xlPasteValues [green]'For example only values[/green]
    [green]'And the same with the second (and any else workbook)[/green]
    blablabla

[green]'And Closing is simply[/green]
    Workbooks("Master.xls").Close True
    Workbooks("MyDoc1.xls").Close False [green]'False if you won't save changes in theese workbooks[/green]
    Workbooks("MyDoc2.xls").Clsoe False
    End Sub[/code]
    This code expects that your file Master.xls contains this macro and this macro expects that you have that files... And it will take cells B2:B10, copy & pastes into your workbook Master...

Hope I understood your problem.. More questions? Ask!

Hope this will help

PavlinII