Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

F.I of the month

infidelinfidel Posts: 2,900Member
http://www.programmersheaven.com/c/MsgBoard/read.asp?Board=25&MsgID=224887&Setting=A9999F0001

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

Comments

• lionblionb Posts: 1,685Member
    : http://www.programmersheaven.com/c/MsgBoard/read.asp?Board=25&MsgID=224887&Setting=A9999F0001
    :
    :
    : [size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]
    :
    Deep sigh and no comments ...
  • DarQDarQ Posts: 1,625Member
    : http://www.programmersheaven.com/c/MsgBoard/read.asp?Board=25&MsgID=224887&Setting=A9999F0001
    :
    :
    : [size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]
    :

[size=5][italic][blue]Dar[RED]Q[/RED][/blue][/italic][/size]
    url--> http://mark.space.servehttp.com

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 2,914Member

The fact that JAVA actually has an error message quite literally worded "General Error" is kinda funked up too...

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");

• infidelinfidel Posts: 2,900Member
    : : http://www.programmersheaven.com/c/MsgBoard/read.asp?Board=25&MsgID=224887&Setting=A9999F0001
    :
    : The fact that JAVA actually has an error message quite literally worded "General Error" is kinda funked up too...

Seems like every exception-throwing language has a base error or exception class that is too generic to be useful. I know Python has class Exception which is intended mostly to be subclassed for specific applications. Even then, though, you can pass a custom message to the constructor and the traceback will point you to the specific line that raised it. Does Perl have a try/catch syntax for exceptions? Error handling is one of the most frustrating things about VB after working with something as fabulous as Python's try/except/finally/else blocks.

: Error handling is one of the most frustrating things about VB
    [blue] You wouldn't say that after trying PowerBuilder 5.0 Error method. That's real piece of crap! It simply does not work at all![/blue]

: Seems like every exception-throwing language has a base error or
    : exception class that is too generic to be useful. I know Python has
    : class Exception which is intended mostly to be subclassed for
    : specific applications. Even then, though, you can pass a custom
    : message to the constructor and the traceback will point you to the
    : specific line that raised it.
    I think the JAVA one would return the line that raised the exception. I only wished it had been posted...just imagine "I've got an General Error on line 25 of my code. Help!" with no code. I wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry...

: Does Perl have a try/catch syntax for exceptions?
    If Perl has a weak spot I can pick at, this might be it. There is a way to throw an exception (using the die keyword), and this propogates up to the next eval { ... } block and causes that to fail. You can check the return value of the eval block to see if an exception was caught, and if it was you can handle it as you wish. This works for both user thrown exceptions and ones that Perl throws. If you don't have a handler, it propogates to the top and Perl spits out the error and terminates.

The main weakness is that there isn't any kind of exception object or any standardised way of saying what went wrong. You are dependent mainly on text based messages, which you set and then have to parse later - a problem. You might well be able to define your own exception object, mind...and there may be modules that handle exception stuff better that you can use.

On the other hand, Perl does allow you to put short circuit OR operators to good use for simple error handling:-

open my $fh, "somefile.txt" || die "Couldn't open file - $!
    ";

Good for simple stuff - probably for small scripting tasks, which is where Perl was heavily used in the early days of it's existence.

I suspect that things will be much improved on this front in Perl6. I certainly hope they will be. :-)

: Error handling is one of the most frustrating things
    : about VB after working with something as fabulous as Python's
    : try/except/finally/else blocks.
    I never liked VBs error handling mechanisms full stop. Even before I saw what else was "out there".

Jonathan

###

: : Error handling is one of the most frustrating things about VB
    : [blue] You wouldn't say that after trying PowerBuilder 5.0 Error method. That's real piece of crap! It simply does not work at all![/blue]

PowerBuilder - is that a Borland thing? Tied to any particular language?

Jonathan

###

[b][red]This message was edited by lionb at 2003-11-17 13:21:29[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : Error handling is one of the most frustrating things about VB
    : : [blue] You wouldn't say that after trying PowerBuilder 5.0 Error method. That's real piece of crap! It simply does not work at all![/blue]
    :
    : PowerBuilder - is that a Borland thing? Tied to any particular language?
    :
    : Jonathan
    :
    : ###
    : for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    : (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    : /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");
    :
    :
    Ooops! Did I send empty message?

: : : : Error handling is one of the most frustrating things about VB
    : : : [blue] You wouldn't say that after trying PowerBuilder 5.0 Error method. That's real piece of crap! It simply does not work at all![/blue]
    : :
    : : PowerBuilder - is that a Borland thing? Tied to any particular language?
    : : Jonathan
    You mean Builder Studio? No. PowerBuilder is a OO language. It was created by PeopleSoft company which was aquired by Sybase.
  • infidelinfidel Posts: 2,900Member
    : : : : : Error handling is one of the most frustrating things about VB
    : : : : [blue] You wouldn't say that after trying PowerBuilder 5.0 Error method. That's real piece of crap! It simply does not work at all![/blue]
    : : :
    : : : PowerBuilder - is that a Borland thing? Tied to any particular language?
    : : : Jonathan
    : You mean Builder Studio? No. PowerBuilder is a OO language. It was created by PeopleSoft company which was aquired by Sybase.

What little I've heard of PowerBuilder is generally positive. Interesting to hear a specific complaint.

Oracle's PL/SQL language recently got some fairly good exception handling capabilities. In fact, I might consider PL/SQL one of my favorite languages to work with.