difference between WINAPI, APIENTRY, ... - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

difference between WINAPI, APIENTRY, ...

Hello,
Recently I have been looking at some beginner Windows Programming tutorials, and have found an incosistency among tutorials. What is the difference in defining WinMain in the following examples?

[code]int [b]WINAPI[/b] WinMain(...)
int [b]APIENTRY[/b] WinMain(...)
int [b]PASCAL[/b] WinMain(...)[/code]

-Tony

Comments

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAPosts: 1,035Member
    They all do pretty much the same thing. I prefer to use WINAPI for my executables and use APIENTRY for the entry-point in DLLs. I don't do Pascal since it's bass-ackwards from every other language I know, and thus don't use PASCAL for entry-points. I would assume that using PASCAL would mean you're coding the WinMain() loop in Pascal, but I'm not sure.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

• RaizoRaizo Posts: 131Member
    : They all do pretty much the same thing. I prefer to use WINAPI for my executables and use APIENTRY for the entry-point in DLLs. I don't do Pascal since it's bass-ackwards from every other language I know, and thus don't use PASCAL for entry-points. I would assume that using PASCAL would mean you're coding the WinMain() loop in Pascal, but I'm not sure.
    :
    : -[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]
    :
    :

gotcha. Thanks!

-Tony

• chick80chick80 Posts: 349Member
    They're exactly the same thing. If you open windef.h you'll find:

[code]
    #define CALLBACK __stdcall
    #define WINAPI __stdcall
    #define WINAPIV __cdecl
    #define APIENTRY WINAPI
    #define APIPRIVATE __stdcall
    #define PASCAL __stdcall
    [/code]

So, all the three things mean __stdcall.
    In older compilers PASCAL was defined as __pascal, which as __fortran and __syscall is not longer supported by the new compilers (or at least by Visual Studio, don't know about other compilers).

nICO

[hr]
    [italic]How beautiful, if Sorrow had not made sorrow more beautiful than Beauty itself.[/italic]
    JOHN KEATS