Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Combo-box data... what am I missing ???

I want to add some data to the items of a combobox.

I use:

[code]
SendDlgItemMessage(hDlg, IDC_ANILIST, CB_SETITEMDATA, (WPARAM)num, (LPARAM)i);
[/code]

where num is the index of the item and i is a value I want to attach to it.

This seems not to work, because when I use CB_GETITEMDATA I always obtain 0, everything I put in i.

Pheraphs I have to set some combo-box style to use user data??? (it's a normal combo-box, no owner-drawn or things like that).

nICO

[hr]
[italic]How beautiful, if Sorrow had not made sorrow more beautiful than Beauty itself.[/italic]
JOHN KEATS

Comments

• pingpongpingpong Posts: 937Member
    It should work fine. You dont need to set any styles.

Show us some code.

: I want to add some data to the items of a combobox.
    :
    : I use:
    :
    : [code]
    : SendDlgItemMessage(hDlg, IDC_ANILIST, CB_SETITEMDATA, (WPARAM)num, (LPARAM)i);
    : [/code]
    :
    : where num is the index of the item and i is a value I want to attach to it.
    :
    : This seems not to work, because when I use CB_GETITEMDATA I always obtain 0, everything I put in i.
    :
    : Pheraphs I have to set some combo-box style to use user data??? (it's a normal combo-box, no owner-drawn or things like that).
    :
    : nICO
    :
    : [hr]
    : [italic]How beautiful, if Sorrow had not made sorrow more beautiful than Beauty itself.[/italic]
    : JOHN KEATS
    :
    :

• chick80chick80 Posts: 349Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by chick80 at 2003-11-16 6:9:21[/red][/b][hr]
    : It should work fine. You dont need to set any styles.
    :
    : Show us some code.
    :

There's not much to show... here it is:

[code]
    SendDlgItemMessage(hDlg, IDC_ANILIST, CB_ADDSTRING, 0, (LPARAM)"X Position");
    int num = (int)SendDlgItemMessage(hDlg, IDC_ANILIST, CB_GETCOUNT, 0, 0);
    SendDlgItemMessage(hDlg, IDC_ANILIST, CB_SETITEMDATA, (WPARAM) num, 5);

SendDlgItemMessage(hDlg, IDC_ANILIST, CB_SETCURSEL, 0, 0);

sel = (int)SendDlgItemMessage(hDlg, IDC_ANILIST, CB_GETITEMDATA, 0, 0);
    // sel should be 5, but it is 0... I cannot understand why.
    [/code]

[hr]
    [italic]How beautiful, if Sorrow had not made sorrow more beautiful than Beauty itself.[/italic]
    JOHN KEATS

• chick80chick80 Posts: 349Member
    Ok, I found the error myself... it was really a stupid thing.
    : [code]
    : SendDlgItemMessage(hDlg, IDC_ANILIST, CB_ADDSTRING, 0, (LPARAM)"X Position");
    : int num = (int)SendDlgItemMessage(hDlg, IDC_ANILIST, CB_GETCOUNT, 0, 0)[red][b]-1[/b][/red];
    : SendDlgItemMessage(hDlg, IDC_ANILIST, CB_SETITEMDATA, (WPARAM) num, 5);
    :
    : SendDlgItemMessage(hDlg, IDC_ANILIST, CB_SETCURSEL, 0, 0);
    :
    : sel = (int)SendDlgItemMessage(hDlg, IDC_ANILIST, CB_GETITEMDATA, 0, 0);
    : // sel should be 5, but it is 0... I cannot understand why.
    : [/code]
    :
    : [italic]How beautiful, if Sorrow had not made sorrow more beautiful than Beauty itself.[/italic]
    :
    :

[hr]
    JOHN KEATS

• AsmGuru62AsmGuru62 Posts: 6,519Member
    : Ok, I found the error myself... it was really a stupid thing.
    : : [code]
    : : SendDlgItemMessage(hDlg, IDC_ANILIST, CB_ADDSTRING, 0, (LPARAM)"X Position");
    : : int num = (int)SendDlgItemMessage(hDlg, IDC_ANILIST, CB_GETCOUNT, 0, 0)[red][b]-1[/b][/red];
    : : SendDlgItemMessage(hDlg, IDC_ANILIST, CB_SETITEMDATA, (WPARAM) num, 5);
    : :
    : : SendDlgItemMessage(hDlg, IDC_ANILIST, CB_SETCURSEL, 0, 0);
    : : sel = (int)SendDlgItemMessage(hDlg, IDC_ANILIST, CB_GETITEMDATA, 0, 0);
    : : // sel should be 5, but it is 0... I cannot understand why.
    : : [/code]
    : : [hr]
    : : [italic]How beautiful, if Sorrow had not made sorrow more beautiful than Beauty itself.[/italic]
    : : JOHN KEATS
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    [blue]This will work only on combo-lists which are not sortable, but sortable list items will contain incorrect values. The better way to do it is to use the index returned by CB_ADDSTRING message and use it as WPARAM inside CB_SETITEMDATA. It is also faster, because you do not need the CB_GETCOUNT now. This technique also applies to a list box.[/blue]