Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

html/embedded interface

cbrewercbrewer Member Posts: 4
I have an application where a user wants to communicate from a PC to an embedded device via the serial port. However, I do not want to use any PC custom or purchased GUI. I want to use Internet Explorer (and possibly Netscape). The problems I have run into are the fact that without custom PC code, there is no way to interface directly with the local machine (com port). I also do not have an ethernet connection, only serial. I am not in a position to purchase any drivers or other code. It has to be contained with windows OS. I can however, develop custom code on the embedded side (even if it involves a big embedded project).

So, Here is my proposal, and I need some help determining if this is workable or not. I would use an html form and the "mailto" action to, get this, "email" the data to the embedded device, via the serial port. I think I should be able to set up the PC to use something like POP3 and the serial port to transmit the data. On the embedded side, I should be able to emulate whatever is required (modem, mail server, etc). This also must co-exist with whatever mail server the user has already implemented, so there might be some email tricks or special setup required (such as a "special" email address). So the other part of this is how to setup the PC's email.

Any thoughts on this or another approach.

Thanks.

Comments

• LundinLundin Member Posts: 3,711
    : I have an application where a user wants to communicate from a PC to an embedded device via the serial port. However, I do not want to use any PC custom or purchased GUI. I want to use Internet Explorer (and possibly Netscape). The problems I have run into are the fact that without custom PC code, there is no way to interface directly with the local machine (com port). I also do not have an ethernet connection, only serial. I am not in a position to purchase any drivers or other code. It has to be contained with windows OS. I can however, develop custom code on the embedded side (even if it involves a big embedded project).
    :
    : So, Here is my proposal, and I need some help determining if this is workable or not. I would use an html form and the "mailto" action to, get this, "email" the data to the embedded device, via the serial port. I think I should be able to set up the PC to use something like POP3 and the serial port to transmit the data. On the embedded side, I should be able to emulate whatever is required (modem, mail server, etc). This also must co-exist with whatever mail server the user has already implemented, so there might be some email tricks or special setup required (such as a "special" email address). So the other part of this is how to setup the PC's email.
    :
    : Any thoughts on this or another approach.
    :
    : Thanks.
    :

There is this program called "Hyper Terminal" in Windows, which I believe is made for chatting over the net or something... however it can also work as a terminal for RS232 on serial port. Just make sure you have the same settings in Hyper Terminal as in your device.

This is in my opinion a bad way to do it. Why can't you use a custom program on the PC? Because you want to avoid any kind of software installation, or just because you don't want to pay?

There are excellent freeware terminal programs, and if you want to build the PC program yourself, it's no big deal either. I can give you the code for a simple windows terminal program if you want.

• cbrewercbrewer Member Posts: 4

HyperTerminal (or any other terminal interface) is much too simple. This solution cannot be a command line interface. It must be a GUI. We have an existing "custom" interface, and for us, it causes problems because of resources and expense to maintain. Also, this is a customer application, so we will not be asking customers to purchase special third-party software. Basically, I want to stay focused on this solution (with PPP, SMTP, POP3, etc), because I already have a custom app. I am looking for a cost-reducing solution. If there is no way to make this work, I will abandon the idea.

Thanks for your input.