Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Voxel engines

horiahoria Member Posts: 32
Hello, fellow programmers,

I would like to ask you how to acess the GPU and Video Memory for Windows, be it in assembler or C/C++ (only two languages I know about).

Thank you in advance...

Comments

• CroWCroW Member Posts: 348
    I think there isnt a direct way to access the video-memory under a win32 platform,but there exists a lot of apis to do the job.you could use directdraw,for example to obtain a fullscreen-window and access it color-bits,switching back and front-buffer or use hardware-accelerated blitting.
    All of this APIs could be used in every language which allows to access code in Dlls like C/C++,Asm,VB and so on.

Accessing a GPU is a very difficulty and incompatible thing and I dont know wether you will find any informations on this subject,however todays 3-apis like opengl or direct3d will use all the features of your gfx-cards gpu,you just need the latest drivers for your card to be installed on your machine.so you have to write for one api only and it will run on every machine having a compatible driver installed.

hope this helps a little...
  • liviu2003liviu2003 Member Posts: 8
    : I think there isnt a direct way to access the video-memory under a win32 platform,but there exists a lot of apis to do the job.you could use directdraw,for example to obtain a fullscreen-window and access it color-bits,switching back and front-buffer or use hardware-accelerated blitting.
    : All of this APIs could be used in every language which allows to access code in Dlls like C/C++,Asm,VB and so on.
    :
    : Accessing a GPU is a very difficulty and incompatible thing and I dont know wether you will find any informations on this subject,however todays 3-apis like opengl or direct3d will use all the features of your gfx-cards gpu,you just need the latest drivers for your card to be installed on your machine.so you have to write for one api only and it will run on every machine having a compatible driver installed.
    :
    : hope this helps a little...
    :

this from horia by liviu:
    Thank you very much for your help, and indeed it is appreciated.