Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

retrieving data from another worksheet using hlookup

ildebrandoildebrando Posts: 3Member
I am using the macro facility of excel to retrieve data in a row using hlookup but unfortunately it retrieves only one info and not the entire data row which includes over 20 rows of data. Can you tell me how or what I should use instead of Hlookup to program this> I have many other worksheets that require the same data retrieval info.
It basically looks for a year and then should retrieve the row of data (financial data) that is under the require year. I have a multitude of years that it must get which is not a big problem but I need to retrieve all the data under that row and place it in another worksheet under a specific row.

thanks very much for yours assistance.

Comments

• funkbunny_54funkbunny_54 Posts: 23Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by funkbunny_54 at 2003-11-5 7:47:15[/red][/b][hr]
    : I am using the macro facility of excel to retrieve data in a row using hlookup but unfortunately it retrieves only one info and not the entire data row which includes over 20 rows of data. Can you tell me how or what I should use instead of Hlookup to program this> I have many other worksheets that require the same data retrieval info.
    : It basically looks for a year and then should retrieve the row of data (financial data) that is under the require year. I have a multitude of years that it must get which is not a big problem but I need to retrieve all the data under that row and place it in another worksheet under a specific row.
    :
    : thanks very much for yours assistance.
    :
    You need to use the HLOOKUP function several times and add the results together. For Example:-

To find the total for 2003 in the following table named years:
    ---A-------B-------C
    1--2001----2002----2003
    2--1-------1-------1
    3--5-------3-------5
    4--2-------5-------7
    5--1-------6-------8

the formula needs to read "=HLOOKUP(2003, Years!A1:C5, 2, False) +HLOOKUP(2003, Years!A1:C5, 3, False)+HLOOKUP(2003, Years!A1:C5, 4, False)+HLOOKUP(2003, Years!A1:C5, 5, False)"

the formula syntax is HLOOKUP (value to find, range to find it in, number of the row to look in, Approximate search is True or False)

If approximate search is true, and it doesn't find the exact value it finds the next closest.

You can add as many of these together as you need, so if there are 20 rows of data, you need 20 instances of HLOOKUP in the formula.

Hope this helps.

• ildebrandoildebrando Posts: 3Member
    : [b][red]This message was edited by funkbunny_54 at 2003-11-5 7:47:15[/red][/b][hr]
    : : I am using the macro facility of excel to retrieve data in a row using hlookup but unfortunately it retrieves only one info and not the entire data row which includes over 20 rows of data. Can you tell me how or what I should use instead of Hlookup to program this> I have many other worksheets that require the same data retrieval info.
    : : It basically looks for a year and then should retrieve the row of data (financial data) that is under the require year. I have a multitude of years that it must get which is not a big problem but I need to retrieve all the data under that row and place it in another worksheet under a specific row.
    : :
    : : thanks very much for yours assistance.
    : You need to use the HLOOKUP function several times and add the results together. For Example:-
    :
    : To find the total for 2003 in the following table named years:
    : ---A-------B-------C
    : 1--2001----2002----2003
    : 2--1-------1-------1
    : 3--5-------3-------5
    : 4--2-------5-------7
    : 5--1-------6-------8
    :
    :
    : the formula needs to read "=HLOOKUP(2003, Years!A1:C5, 2, False) +HLOOKUP(2003, Years!A1:C5, 3, False)+HLOOKUP(2003, Years!A1:C5, 4, False)+HLOOKUP(2003, Years!A1:C5, 5, False)"
    :
    : the formula syntax is HLOOKUP (value to find, range to find it in, number of the row to look in, Approximate search is True or False)
    :
    : If approximate search is true, and it doesn't find the exact value it finds the next closest.
    :
    : You can add as many of these together as you need, so if there are 20 rows of data, you need 20 instances of HLOOKUP in the formula.
    :
    : Hope this helps.
    :
    : Thank you very much. One more thing,is it possible for hlookup to copy more than one row of data not adding info just copy it;what I mean is right now it will only copy or add many rows in that column but what I need to do is copy the exact rows in that column and place them in another worksheet.
    thanks again and have a good day.
    :
    :

• funkbunny_54funkbunny_54 Posts: 23Member
    : : [b][red]This message was edited by funkbunny_54 at 2003-11-5 7:47:15[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : I am using the macro facility of excel to retrieve data in a row using hlookup but unfortunately it retrieves only one info and not the entire data row which includes over 20 rows of data. Can you tell me how or what I should use instead of Hlookup to program this> I have many other worksheets that require the same data retrieval info.
    : : : It basically looks for a year and then should retrieve the row of data (financial data) that is under the require year. I have a multitude of years that it must get which is not a big problem but I need to retrieve all the data under that row and place it in another worksheet under a specific row.
    : : :
    : : : thanks very much for yours assistance.
    : : You need to use the HLOOKUP function several times and add the results together. For Example:-
    : : To find the total for 2003 in the following table named years:
    : : ---A-------B-------C
    : : 1--2001----2002----2003
    : : 2--1-------1-------1
    : : 3--5-------3-------5
    : : 4--2-------5-------7
    : : 5--1-------6-------8
    : : the formula needs to read "=HLOOKUP(2003, Years!A1:C5, 2, False) +HLOOKUP(2003, Years!A1:C5, 3, False)+HLOOKUP(2003, Years!A1:C5, 4, False)+HLOOKUP(2003, Years!A1:C5, 5, False)"
    : : the formula syntax is HLOOKUP (value to find, range to find it in, number of the row to look in, Approximate search is True or False)
    : : If approximate search is true, and it doesn't find the exact value it finds the next closest.
    : : You can add as many of these together as you need, so if there are 20 rows of data, you need 20 instances of HLOOKUP in the formula.
    : : Hope this helps.
    : : Thank you very much. One more thing,is it possible for hlookup to copy more than one row of data not adding info just copy it;what I mean is right now it will only copy or add many rows in that column but what I need to do is copy the exact rows in that column and place them in another worksheet.
    : thanks again and have a good day.
    :
    If you use HLOOKUP in each of the rows seperatly this shoud work. To continue using the example above, in the first row of the destination sheet put "=HLOOKUP(2003, Years!A1:C5, 2, False)" and in row 2 put "=HLOOKUP(2003, Years!A1:C5, 3, False)" and so on for each row. I know this is a bit long winded, but if you're writing a macro it will save you time in the long run. I don't know of any quicker way to do this, but perhaps someone else out ther may have some ideas?

Hope this helps.

• ildebrandoildebrando Posts: 3Member
    : : : [b][red]This message was edited by funkbunny_54 at 2003-11-5 7:47:15[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : : I am using the macro facility of excel to retrieve data in a row using hlookup but unfortunately it retrieves only one info and not the entire data row which includes over 20 rows of data. Can you tell me how or what I should use instead of Hlookup to program this> I have many other worksheets that require the same data retrieval info.
    : : : : It basically looks for a year and then should retrieve the row of data (financial data) that is under the require year. I have a multitude of years that it must get which is not a big problem but I need to retrieve all the data under that row and place it in another worksheet under a specific row.
    : : : :
    : : : : thanks very much for yours assistance.
    : : : :
    : : : You need to use the HLOOKUP function several times and add the results together. For Example:-
    : : : To find the total for 2003 in the following table named years:
    : : : ---A-------B-------C
    : : : 1--2001----2002----2003
    : : : 2--1-------1-------1
    : : : 3--5-------3-------5
    : : : 4--2-------5-------7
    : : : 5--1-------6-------8
    : : : the formula needs to read "=HLOOKUP(2003, Years!A1:C5, 2, False) +HLOOKUP(2003, Years!A1:C5, 3, False)+HLOOKUP(2003, Years!A1:C5, 4, False)+HLOOKUP(2003, Years!A1:C5, 5, False)"
    : : : the formula syntax is HLOOKUP (value to find, range to find it in, number of the row to look in, Approximate search is True or False)
    : : : If approximate search is true, and it doesn't find the exact value it finds the next closest.
    : : : You can add as many of these together as you need, so if there are 20 rows of data, you need 20 instances of HLOOKUP in the formula.
    : : : Hope this helps.
    : : : Thank you very much. One more thing,is it possible for hlookup to copy more than one row of data not adding info just copy it;what I mean is right now it will only copy or add many rows in that column but what I need to do is copy the exact rows in that column and place them in another worksheet.
    : : thanks again and have a good day.
    : If you use HLOOKUP in each of the rows seperatly this shoud work. To continue using the example above, in the first row of the destination sheet put "=HLOOKUP(2003, Years!A1:C5, 2, False)" and in row 2 put "=HLOOKUP(2003, Years!A1:C5, 3, False)" and so on for each row. I know this is a bit long winded, but if you're writing a macro it will save you time in the long run. I don't know of any quicker way to do this, but perhaps someone else out ther may have some ideas?
    :
    : Hope this helps.
    :
    : Hi,
    Thank you very much for your assistance and I have been reading on it and also found no quicker way yet to do it so I will follow your advice and just do one row at the time.
    Have a good day
    Brando
    :
    :