Where to start!

I have been programming for just a couple of years now. Started off with Basic then went on to Pascal then I learned a lot of Java. Recently I have learned a bit of C programming.

I must admit the idea of writing computer games really interests me. Although I have a lot to learn before I would be capable of attempting that sort of thing.

But I would like to know what languages are used by professional games programmers and any packages that are used etc? I presume that C++, VB & Java are appropriate. If there are any links you could recommend that would be great.

Thanks.

Comments

• Well, for large scale games (i.e. Age of Empires, Unreal, whatever) C/C++ is usually used. I've heard good things about Microsoft Visual C++, but I only have a Borland compiler myself. VB isn't used so much because it produces slower code.

• : I have been programming for just a couple of years now. Started off with Basic then went on to Pascal then I learned a lot of Java. Recently I have learned a bit of C programming.
    :
    : I must admit the idea of writing computer games really interests me. Although I have a lot to learn before I would be capable of attempting that sort of thing.
    :
    : But I would like to know what languages are used by professional games programmers and any packages that are used etc? I presume that C++, VB & Java are appropriate. If there are any links you could recommend that would be great.
    :
    : Thanks.
    :
    For graphics they use Direct3D (but not all of them are also using OpenGL)
    programmers who program Direct3D usually program in all the DirectX package (DirectShow, DirectSound, etc.)
    the rest i guess they use their own (maybe some of them are using FMOD for sound, i dont know.)
    but there is no reason to use a windowing+gui library or images loader library. especially for the professional programmers.
    OpenGL- www.opengl.org
    DirectX- www.microsoft.com/directx

They probably program in C++, but i belive in past they also programmed in Assembly (take Parallax programmers for example, the creators of Descent & Descent 2)

--pex.