Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Linux on Laptops

SithLordSithLord Member Posts: 6
I have a Fujitsu N series laptop and I am considering installing Linux. The only thing holding me back is my concern about finding compatable drivers for all the specialized hardware found in laptops (i.e. the display drivers for the flat panel display). I was wondering if anyone else has had experience installing linux on a laptop (in particular the fujitsu N series lifebook) and the troubles or lack thereof they found.

Thanks for you help.

Comments

• merlin_barmerlin_bar Member Posts: 136
    I don't have much advice, but since no one has replied, I can tell you of my experience.

I have a dell Inspiron 4000. ATI rage mobility 128 graphics card and 320 mb ram.

I've tried the following so far, with a clean install each time:

Redhat 9
    SuSE 8.2
    Debian Woody (stable)
    FreeBSD
    Mandrake 9.1

Redhat 9 installed well. It detected all hardware. My modem couldn't be used, as is the case with many laptops (and desktops). I bought a serial modem to overcome the internet connectivity issue.

Redhat was quite good, at the time I would have said excellent. The I tried Mandrake 9.1. It was very erratic. I don't know what the problem was exactly. I think I had it on my laptop for a total of 20 minutes before wiping the drive to make room for a different distro (I had a lot of time to spare).

Debian and FreeBSD gave me the same error (slthough they installed without problems). The problem was that the X server couldn't find a display. In other words, no X, just console. I was a novice at the time so I just wiped and installed SuSE 8.2.

This is by far the best I have tried. It is more suited to mobile users that even redhat 9.

Feel free to ask me more if I've left anything out. I had intended on installing all of these to try them. I didn't just 'end up
    ' using SuSE. It's great.

Regards,
    merlin

: I have a Fujitsu N series laptop and I am considering installing Linux. The only thing holding me back is my concern about finding compatable drivers for all the specialized hardware found in laptops (i.e. the display drivers for the flat panel display). I was wondering if anyone else has had experience installing linux on a laptop (in particular the fujitsu N series lifebook) and the troubles or lack thereof they found.
    :
    : Thanks for you help.
    :