Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

which SQL software to choose?

jamalraslanjamalraslan Member Posts: 6
Hello there,

I'm a beginner in SQL, my only experience & exposure came from IBM DB2 when I used it during the Database Systems subject in my engineering coursework.

I am working on my final year project now and I need to construct an information systems that can process traffic volumes and then give indication whether a traffic bottleneck is coming up or not. I already have the layout of the database, the questions are:
1) I noticed there are many SQL softwares out there, which one do I use? I want to use an open-source software to avoid any complications.
2) I am aware that I can do an interface for my database so that it is more user-friendly. How do I achieve that? I heard that it has sth to do with VB & PHP.

Thanks for reading.

=]
~jamal~

Comments

• JonathanJonathan Member Posts: 2,914
    : 1) I noticed there are many SQL softwares out there, which one do I
    : use? I want to use an open-source software to avoid any
    : complications.
    Obviously, asking in a MySQL board exposes you to a certain degree of bias. ;-) The two big open source/free software database servers seem to be MySQL and Postgre SQL. MySQL is fast and stable, but at the moment lacks features like stored procedures, etc. They choose making it work well and stay up above having loads of features. Postgre has a lot more in the way of features. I'm not sure where it ranks in terms of performance - I don't think it's poor, but I believe MySQL beats it in quite a few types of operation. I've never used Postgre greatly myself, but I do remember in a discussion I had recently with one of the lecturers at my college they said they had tried Postgre and found it to be highly unstable. Whether they configured it wrong, or if Postgre has improved since, I don't know. I'd imagine that as these are people who lecture on database systems and know them pretty well they'd have set it up correctly, though! MySQL works pretty well out the box, but can be tweaked.

So, in summary - look at MySQL and see if it has what you need. If so, I suggest you use it. If you need features it doesn't have, take a look at Postgre.

: 2) I am aware that I can do an interface for my database so that it
    : is more user-friendly. How do I achieve that? I heard that it has
    : sth to do with VB & PHP.
    Depends on whether you want a Win32 or web based front end. You can use MySQL certainly from Perl (which is what I use to do web based front ends to databases), PHP, Python, C/C++ and anything that'll use ODBC (e.g. VB). There's even a .NET provider, so you can write apps in whatever.NET. If JAVA is your thing, there is connectivity support from JAVA too.

Postgre - I couldn't tell you. I know Perl, PHP and C/C++ have libraries for it, I'm pretty sure JAVA does. Not sure about anything else.

Hope this helps,

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");

• jamalraslanjamalraslan Member Posts: 6
    Thanks heaps. It sure did clear up a lot of things in my mind. But I am still unsure as to how to go on with the project. Let's just say i've created a user interface using Dreamweaver, how can i connect it to the database i did with MySQL?

still lost
    ~jamal~
  • JonathanJonathan Member Posts: 2,914
    : Thanks heaps. It sure did clear up a lot of things in my mind. But I
    : am still unsure as to how to go on with the project. Let's just say
    : i've created a user interface using Dreamweaver, how can i connect
    : it to the database i did with MySQL?
    You need something inbetween the HTML web pages and the MySQL database, namely some kind of web programming. That could be in Perl, PHP, ASP or a whole load of other things. I imagine you will have some experience in at least a couple of programming languages, so choose the technology you know best.

Dreamweaver may or may not be able to generate some of that code for you, or you may have to write it from scratch.

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");